Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Wrong Digest

Default 11.1 Wrong Digest

Hoping someone can suggest a cause (& resolution) to this.

I have had 11.1 (KDE3.5) running quite happily for a few months on my laptop (Thinkpad T42). A couple of weeks ago I started getting "Wrong Digest" (mismatched checksum) errors when trying to run Online Update or adding new software.

As I had just put the KDE4 re-spin on my T43, I decided that maybe the install was just a bit old and so I would replace the original 11.1 on the T42 with the KDE4 re-spin to get rid of the Wrong Digest errors without having to do an install and full update from the original 11.1.

Once the install was complete i fired up the brand new KDE4 Re-spin on the T42 and, having configured Online Update, set it running...and almost immediately got a Wrong Digest error.

The same install from the same CD and with its default Repository settings works just fine on the T43, but on this T42 is behaving exactly as the original 11.1 was.

I've cleared out the default repositories and re-entered them: same result, Wrong Digest. So I performed another clean install of the KDE4 re-spin, deleted the default repositories and set up *just* the Update repository, pointing directly at a (known) European mirror instead of letting "download..." figure out a local mirror.

First shot at running Online Update and "Wrong Digest The expected checksum of file /var/cache/zypp/packages/11.1/rpm/noarch/desktop-translations-11.1.noarch.rpm is...but the current checksum is..."

Why can't I copy/paste from the error msg?

The same install (albeit already updated since install about 4 weeks ago) still updates and adds ok on the other laptop...attached to the same network and same ISP.

So, any ideas why my T42 should be mis-behaving and what needs to be done to fix it? Now, given that I've pointed at a known good mirror (mirrorservice.org) and that I'm only looking at the Update repository I guess it would be safe to just go ahead even with wrong checksums...but that's not really addressing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and btw the same laptop (which has a 6 month old hdd in it) also has Win XP Pro, OpenSolaris and Fedora 11 which all run (and update) just fine.

Default Re: 11.1 Wrong Digest

So the lack of response plus the fact I can only find this thread which seems to bear an relation suggests I have a unique problem?

For info, here's the output of zypper lr (as noted I have deleted all repositories and only re-entered Update

Code:
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
    --+-------+------+---------+--------
    1 | 11.1  | 11.1 | Yes     | Yes
    I've done an rpmdb rebuild and decided to try & update from CLI (instead of YAST) to see if that gave any more hints, resultant output being

Code:
    Retrieving: kernel-default-base-2.6.27.25-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (48.8 K/s)]
    Digest verification failed for kernel-default-base-2.6.27.25-0.1.1.i586.rpm. Expected 542ee1d0c1b2ef9da8dc21a94a8106e46232aa96, found d6eb870409c726e9bd4784b8d5bdfcacf4a6c187. Continue? [yes/NO]:
    So it falls over on a different package checksum error.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

thanks

IG

Blog Entries

Are you able to open Yast - Software - Repositories.

If you can, add the oss and non-oss repo's from here
    Package Repositories - openSUSE

You need to set Updates to to priority 20
    oss & non-oss to 120
    The OK/Accept to finish in there.

Now open a terminal and become su and do:

Code:
    zypper ref
    and if that works, then do

Code:
    zypper up
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hi Caf
    Thanks for the response.
    Adding the repositories per your suggestion gets as far as "refreshing metadata" then YAST throws another "Wrong Digest" error,

So I didn't even get as far as completing your suggestion.

The odd thing is, this began when I was running OpenSuse 11.1 (original) on this machine and is continuing with the 11.1 KDE4 "re-spin" freshly installed on newly formatted partitions. Now that would suggest a possible mirror synch error (which is why I allowed only Updates and specifically pointed at a mirror I expect to work). But exactly the same 11.1/KDE4 from the same CD works & updates just fine on another machine, whether the repositores are pointed at specific mirrors or are left to figure themselves out (i.e. generic url)

So you can see why I am somewhat confused

cheers!

IG

Blog Entries

If you use super user file manager and go to: /var/cache/zypp

Any folder inside there (I have: packages, raw, solv) rename them eg: packages_old

see what happens
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Hmmm, I obviously need to learn how to use this message board as well:

This image was supposed to be in my previous msg

Caf
    Same 3 folders as you have; renamed as old_*; re-started adding 2 repositories; Wrong Digest error at same point (refreshing metadata)

But this time KDE can't launch snapshot to capture the message - but it's the same ~/packages.en.gz reporting a bad checksum.

If this wasn't a new hdd (with 3 other OSs behaving perfectly, well at least "as expected" !) and fresh partitioning I'd be suspecting a bad disk.

cheers!

IG

Caf
    Stranger yet, only 2 of the 3 folders have been re-created (raw & solv) and neither the newly created folders (directories) nor the renamed "old" ones actually seem to contain the referenced sub-directory or file - allowing hidden files to be viewed.

IG

Blog Entries

You can put those folders back now by deleting anything new and change the _old back to original

Did you ever try ignoring the warning and answer yes?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Well ignoring the warning isn't going to break things any more I guess !! Just goes against the grain somewhat. Here's an apparent security warning so I was hoping to understand and fix the underlying problem.

Logic suggests if it's a repository/mirror synch issue then my other machine should be affected too; logic can't really help with how I get the same symptoms on 2 different installs on one box, unless it's machine-related...in which case how come the other OS's are working.

I'll go ahead and ignore the digest/checksum warnings & see where that takes us; I suppose there is a chance that some zypper/yast security update out there will actually fix it - just expected to have heard about it somewhere.

Thanks for your input & will get back with an update in the near future.

cheers!

IG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast