Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Mark topic as solved?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 02:46:02 +0000, mmarif4u wrote:

    > Also raised here:
    >
    > 'New category proposal: security - openSUSE Forums'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/newkm6)
    >
    > 1 vote from me for solved threads.
    > Whatever the consequences are, but we have to accept it will help users
    > somehow. It has no -ve points, except +ve points it have.


    Well, if you think it'll help, of course I won't stop you (not as if I
    could). I just don't see the point unless everyone does it (or a
    majority of threads do it) because it ends up doubling the work that
    those who would search (who are pretty much a minority anyways) have to
    do to find an question that has a known solution.

    Jim

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/swat
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 02:46:02 +0000, mmarif4u wrote:

    > Also raised here:
    >
    > 'New category proposal: security - openSUSE Forums'
    > (New category proposal: security - openSUSE Forums)
    >
    > 1 vote from me for solved threads.
    > Whatever the consequences are, but we have to accept it will help users
    > somehow. It has no -ve points, except +ve points it have.


    Well, if you think it'll help, of course I won't stop you (not as if I
    could). I just don't see the point unless everyone does it (or a
    majority of threads do it) because it ends up doubling the work that
    those who would search (who are pretty much a minority anyways) have to
    do to find an question that has a known solution.

    Jim
    May be you are right, but lets say, we use it.
    I am a new user, and trying to solve a problem and planning to do search 1st in this forum.
    I do search, and my keyword return 30 records. 6 are with solved threads. So i think i will go 1st to the solved threads to see the solution there, either its 2 pages thread or 5.
    And in this way, i can find the solution to my problem quick than going through all the 30 records. And may be its boring to go through all threads with multiple pages. The possibility of skipping the pages is higher in this case than solved one.
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

  3. #23
    goldie NNTP User

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    > -ve points ... +ve points

    what are those? (in plain english, please)
    google fails to provide clear etymology or elucidation!

    i can't help but wonder how many key presses are saved by their
    tortured use (i suppose in SMS/text-messagese)..

    --
    goldie

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    /dev/swat
    Posts
    1,181

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    > -ve points ... +ve points

    what are those? (in plain english, please)
    google fails to provide clear etymology or elucidation!

    i can't help but wonder how many key presses are saved by their
    tortured use (i suppose in SMS/text-messagese)..

    --
    goldie
    Negative and Positive in plain English.
    Anything else need explanation?
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    Quote Originally Posted by 69_rs_ss View Post
    An existing way would be to start adding solved as a tag along with what the thread is about. Then people could just search tags for solved and any search term they are looking for.
    Indeed, I thought about that when recently starting a thread.

    Then we hear the argument about not finding untagged solved threads when searching with the tag. My answer is to then search without the tag. Searching in the forum often requires more than one attempt anyway with varied criteria, and reducing the number of search words on rerun is normal.

  6. #26
    goldie NNTP User

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    how about this:

    when a questioner receives an answer which *solves* their
    problem...their next action should be to craft a posting to the
    "Unreviewed How To and FAQ" forum like this:


    ------------------EXAMPLE-------------------------------------
    Subject: Missing ID/Password for v11.1 Live CD ::SOLVED::

    Message body:

    I downloaded and tried to install openSUSE 11.1 with KDE4.3 RC (from
    kde.org) and could not log in because no one here would tell me the
    fricking password for the Live CD!

    With NO help (thanks a LOT!!) from the openSUSE forums I ::SOLVED:: my
    own problem by reading the information given .iso producer, on this
    page: http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/
    ------------------END EXAMPLE----------------------------------


    by doing that, then anyone could easily search either subject lines OR
    message bodies for the string "::SOLVED::" and other, relevent key words..

    assuming, of course that the NEXT frustrated microsoftie eye-candy
    chaser knows how to and/or will launch a search..

    which, imho, is not likely to happen.

    --
    goldie

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC, USA
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    There seems to be a general assumption in this thread that a vast majority of people who come to this forum don't search. I disagree with that sentiment.

    Not that I have hard numbers to back it up, but think about it:
    If everyone who came to this forum didn't search a **** thing and just posted a topic, there would be a helluva lot more repeat topics than there already are.

    I think more people search for and find solutions than others in this thread give credit. Its not like we're aware of the people searching; they search, find an answer, then leave, with no other user any wiser of their existence.

    If it is possible, perhaps some statistics could be compiled that measure how many searches are done, and possibly some other metrics that could enlighten us as to whether a solution-marker would be a useful addition.

    If collecting statistics isn't possible, for the time being I am content with asking a moderator to mark a thread as solved by changing the topic title. Maybe if the frequency of this increases, this topic could be revisted and a more permanent solution could be put in place.
    My personal philosophy:
    The only way you won't find something is if you stop looking.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:35:55 +0000, goldie wrote:

    > when a questioner receives an answer which *solves* their
    > problem...their next action should be to craft a posting to the
    > "Unreviewed How To and FAQ" forum like this:


    Well, sure, if people do that then that's useful. But I think that not
    many people will do that.

    Jim

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:46:01 +0000, srschifano wrote:

    > There seems to be a general assumption in this thread that a -vast-
    > majority of people who come to this forum don't search. I disagree with
    > that sentiment.


    Well, I'm just going on years and years of doing online support. In
    general, people tend to ask rather than search because (a) they feel
    they're getting their needs met faster (even though it's not necessarily
    true), (b) they feel there's something unique about their setup that
    makes it impossible that someone else has had the same issue (also
    generally untrue), or (c) they just don't think about searching, instead
    preferring to ask a question because they can tell their boss (most of my
    online support time was for commercial products) "yes, I've asked a
    question and am waiting for an answer".

    Jim

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,043

    Default Re: Mark topic as solved?

    On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 03:16:01 +0000, mmarif4u wrote:

    > May be you are right, but lets say, we use it. I am a new user, and
    > trying to solve a problem and planning to do search 1st in this forum. I
    > do search, and my keyword return 30 records. 6 are with solved threads.
    > So i think i will go 1st to the solved threads to see the solution
    > there, either its 2 pages thread or 5. And in this way, i can find the
    > solution to my problem quick than going through all the 30 records. And
    > may be its boring to go through all threads with multiple pages. The
    > possibility of skipping the pages is higher in this case than solved
    > one.


    That's a slightly different idea, where instead of including "solved" in
    the search, the results coming back indicate whether the question in the
    thread is definitively solved or not. That might actually work better
    because it doesn't depend on the searcher changing their search terms as
    well as the OP in the solved thread marking the thread as solved.

    Jim

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •