Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorex 4GB Media Player MMP8585C

Default Memorex 4GB Media Player MMP8585C

I just bought this from Woot! It was cheap and I knew what I was getting into. Now I need to figure out how to get this to work in Suse 11.1 It seems to pick it up as sdh if I reboot while it is plugged in. But I am unsure what I can use to sync it. I never owned a media player like this, not even an Ipod. Took me awhile as well to go from cassettes to CD's, lol. But now I have this I want to get it to work, no matter what I need to do (except reinstalling Windows.)

It uses MyDJ. I am wondering if I should even try getting that to work with wine, would it work with Virtual Box or should I just focus getting it to work with Suse.

* Built-in 4GB flash memory
    * 2000 songs at 64kbps for over 128 hours of WMA music
    * 1000 songs at 128kbps for over 64 hours of MP3 music
    * MP3, WMA, WMA-DRM (WMA protected files), MPEG-4, and JPEG file playback
    * 1.5 inch OLED color screen with image viewer
    * Rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
    * Up to 20 hours of audio playback (up to 2 hours of video playback)
    * Equalizer with 5 presets and custom EQ
    * Mass storage compliance with Plug-n-play function
    * Downloadable PC software enables transcoding of most video formats to MPEG-4
    * Supports most subscription music providers
    * Upgradeable firmware
    Memorex MMP8585C: Memorex 4GB Media Player Price, Specs and Features | MP3 Players
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Default Re: Memorex 4GB Media Player MMP8585C

Until I get this worked out I just got rid of PC-BSD and installed XP. So much for being MS free. I am going to check out other distro's and see if they have something pre-installed, then see if I can get the same thing installed on Suse. Searching is bringing up nothing concerning this.
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Blog Entries

In my limited experience these devices are not linux friendly. But usually will work after a fashion. If you can use it as a storage device and add and remove music in a file manager that may work.
    It may work in a Virtual Box XP, but it would need to be the Sun version and have usb working. Or try amarok 1.4
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

No go with Amarok 1.4.

As I said it was cheap, so I don't expect a lot. For example the video, not really an option. I would need a magnifying glass to watch anything. Pictures, good to look at them as thumbnails and view them on another computer, but hard to make out anything with the player because of the size. The mp3 player part works fine, wish it would support ogg, but...

Suse does pick it up as sdh. Problem is there's nothing there. When I plug it in booted in XP I open the media player file icon (under my computer) and then there is another folder I have to click on. That gives me the contents. But I can't get that with Suse, or any distro (I made sure to have the show hidden files box checked.) Wish I could just get rid of the default set up and install something that would be compatible with Linux.

I will give the Virtual Machine a try. Be nice not having to reboot every time I want to change or add songs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_amd64x2 View Post
    Suse does pick it up as sdh.
    If openSUSE detects it as "sdh" then its possible you will be able to manually mount it and access it along the lines suggested by caf4926.

With it not plugged in type:
    df -Th
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and then with it plugged in type
    df -Th
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and report on the differences between the two cases (plugged in and not plugged in).

Blog Entries

If the device is accessible as an "external storage" device, then you need be careful as to its file format. If it is formatted in NTFS format, then its important it is unmounted properly under Windows, else Linux could have the symptoms you describe when trying to read the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    If openSUSE detects it as "sdh" then its possible you will be able to manually mount it and access it along the lines suggested by caf4926.

With it not plugged in type:
    df -Th
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and then with it plugged in type
    df -Th
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and report on the differences between the two cases (plugged in and not plugged in).
    I need to reboot the computer while it is plugged in for it to register. If I just plug it in like I would a flash drive, it doesn't show up, anywhere. Not in cfdisk, gparted, etc.

As soon as I get done with something I am doing I will reboot it and do the second part of the above.

Edit: This is what it says before I plug it in AND after I plug it in, without rebooting.

Code:
    > df -Th                                     
    Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on              
    /dev/sda3     ext3     99G   18G   76G  19% /                       
    udev         tmpfs    2.0G  172K  2.0G   1% /dev                    
    /dev/sda2     ext3    487M   37M  425M   8% /boot
    /dev/sda4     ext3    190G   44G  137G  24% /home
    /dev/sdb2     ext2    294G  108G  171G  39% /mount/backup

> su -c 'fdisk -l'
    Password:

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x5be9a6a5

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         653     5245191   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2   *         654         717      514080   83  Linux
    /dev/sda3             718       13772   104864287+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda4           13773       38913   201945082+  83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x08000000

/dev/sdb2               1       38913   312568641   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Disk identifier: 0x8f800000

/dev/sdc1   *           1        2607    20940696    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdc2            2608       19457   135347625    b  W95 FAT32

I rebooted and I am getting the same thing as above. Now it isn't even showing up as SDH.

It probably didn't unmount the right way in XP, as you warned.

I don't suppose there is a way I can just reinstall a Linux alternative on this media player? If it is even possible I am guessing it would be tricky, tricky as in making it unusable if things went wrong?

Blog Entries

Edit: This is what it says before I plug it in AND after I plug it in, without rebooting.
    Can you make it easier for me and explain what you posted?

Do you get the same with those commands BEFORE and AFTER?

If you believe they are different BEFORE and AFTER, then you need to label which is BEFORE and which is AFTER.

Blog Entries

I need to reboot the computer while it is plugged in for it to register.
    Then please show the difference?

ie boot with it plugged in. Run the commands. Post the output. LABEL WHAT YOU ARE POSTING !!!

Then do the same with it not plugged in.

And ensure you remove it properly under MS-Windows ! (and under Linux, if seen)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast