Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help - Modem problem w/11.0

Default Please Help - Modem problem w/11.0

Hello HW Forum,
    I'm very new to this forum, but not to openSuse. My first openSuse 11.0 install went well except for the modem (necessary here in dial-up country).
    openSuse shows the modem HW info as a LTWinModem at /dev/tty/LT0.
    This problem surely isn't new. Please point, advise, inform me, as to the next step to get this working. Using KDE3.5.
    FrankK11

Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Please Help - Modem problem w/11.0

I think you need to use kinternet.

Check to see you have it installed. Then configure with your dial up details.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks caf4926!
    I installed kinternet, but it complains of something more basic. Its message is "connection to local and remote server refused". There are further complaints about smpppd and my membership of the dialout group.
    I will look into my group memberships.
    wvdial complains "can't open /dev/modem.
    The Yast HW info has the modem at /dev/tty/LT0.
    Somehow it seems that udev will need to provide a link between /dev/modem and /dev/tty/LT0.
    All of this info has to be "fat fingered" into another machine that has a working modem.
    Is it possible to make this Lucent Technologies WinModem work with openSuse 11.0?
    FrankK11

Frank, I had the same exact problem when I went from SuSE 9.3 to 11.0. The linux core is either corrupt or it no longer supports Lucent Tech Winmodems. Nor will it accept the older 9.3 drivers. I posted about it and had absolutely no usable answers over at LinuxQuestions.org (someone suggested that I "buy" a software solution. I had to use my 9.3 version to even ask the question. Good thing I partitioned properly and saved that version as a dual-boot option.

I ended up having to purchase a controller based modem. The one I bought was a USR USB modem. Costs about $50 including shipping from TigerDirect. The modem installed without a hitch and worked from day one.

That not only solved my problem, but pretty much guarantees that I will have a usable modem from this point on, at least until broadband hits my area.

I know this may not help you much, but it was the only workable short and long term solution, for me.

Thanks for the input AlNorris,
    For myself with 10.2, I use a USR HW modem also. Your input is valuable to me as it allows me to stop wasting time with the LTWM.
    For this particular installation I have another modem option to try.
    An XP machine here has a Moto NetoDragon WinModem. It will have a driver for the LTWM, so I'll first experiment with a modem swap.
    As a follow-on to my earlier post to this thread, the user was a member of the group dialup from the start. When I checked, I also added him to the modem group.
    In my personal 10.2 system I used kppp rather than kinternet. Kppp is loaded here also and fails finding nothing at /dev/modem. The port choices kppp has does not include /dev/tty/LT0!
    FrankK11

Post Re: Please Help - Modem problem w/11.0

Hi There,

If you do have to go the route of getting a new modem, you might want to just consider an external one. I found long ago these were the easiest to use with Linux, then you never really have to worry about drivers, etc. - just connect to serial port and you are set.

Good luck, and sorry to hear your misfortune.

(Humm . . . is it possible to compile a kernel module to support that Winmodem? Bah - easier in the long rung to skip it.)

Pete

Before you do anything else, go to YAST / System / System Services and turn on smpppd. You need to have this running for dial up connections to work.

Then run the Modem wizard thing in YAST / Network / Devices/ Modems. Then try connecting with Kinternet. If you right click on the little taskbar icon you can select "view log" to see what's going on while you try to connect.

Thank you foresthill!
    With your help, I got a little farther. Before I got your message, I had already swapped the LT WinModem for the Motorola SmartModem, also a WinModem. One difference is that it where the LT port was /dev/ttyLT0, the Moto port is /dev/ttySL0.
    When I ran the Yast > NetworkDevices > Modem, I edited the SmartModem entry. After selecting the modem port to be /dev/ttySL0, the wizard created the link /dev/modem -> /dev/ttySL0.
    From here it's still a no-go! Knetwork gets the same errors as before, tho it seems to run from the wizard checklist. Kppp can't open the modem and wvdial says the modem or resource is busy.
    It seems that some application has the modem locked up. What is a good way to show the allocation of a device or resource?
    FrankK11

"Modem is busy" messages are typical when trying to get an unsupported winmodem to work.

What you need is an external serial modem of some sort. These work quite well from my experience.

US Robotics used to make some good internal PCI hardware-based modems that would work in Linux, but they are not manufactured any more.

Hopefully you have a serial port, and if so, even the cheapest most generic serial modem will work like a charm.

There was a driver for earlier versions of Suse that would allow some winmodems to work, but it has not been maintained.

So as things stand, you need either a hardware based internal modem (good luck finding one these days) or pretty much ANY serial modem. Note that even if you have no serial ports, USB to serial adapters are available for a few dollars and they work quite well.

Some USB external modems are said to work, but I have not had much luck with any of the ones I tried.

Ardrishaig, Argyll. Scotland UK - GMT/BST
    Blog Entries

Don't know if this will help, I just spotted it
    Bryan手札-生活記趣 How to connect to internet by PPPOE (KDE or Gnome) on Opensuse

page was slow loading for me
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast