Anyone seen the new YaST?

I rather like it. I just don’t like having to double click.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8789/newyast.th.jpg](http://img83.imageshack.us/i/newyast.jpg/)

What do y’all think of this?

it’s not very different from Yast in Gnome

the double click is annoying
and the new look is kinda silly because it has left and right side which is kinda usless IMHO why have it doubled like that when you can access the right side all that is on the left

lol! Is that part of the the new GKDE desktop? Another example of either a solution looking for a problem, or nothing else to do so let’s re-arrange the deckchairs.

I can get used to single or double click, but it’s a PITA when mixed on the same DE. Haven’t they learnt anything about good UI design? I thought the rehearsal ended with 11.0 - my mistake.

That was the KDE 3.5.10 desktop using YaST Qt.

@Jonathan_R
What DE were you running it on, 11.2??

No. The old Qt control center was the last thing in the distro using Qt 3, so it had to go. Once we were rewriting it, we decided to make it similar to the Gtk variant.

I thought it looked like my Yast in Gnome, but with nice Icons in the “Groups” column etc. IMO better laid out than KDE style (from an accessibility/comprehension POV).

Not really impressed. Less is more.
And I don’t like at all gnome style. It’s naturally a question of personal taste. (That’s why I use openSUSE because up to 10.3 they had a good KDE implementation. Hope that 4.3 will be up to expectations).
I hope the double click issue can be changed to one click through menu. Otherwise it will get really confusing for users. Here one click, there two…:\

That screenshot is only part of it; about two thirds of the way through Andreas Jaeger’s Linux Tag presentation there are several more different shots of it; the first half is mostly a repeat in German of what Joe Brockmeier said in English. You only get the YaST information when you have sat through all that.

Oh yes, do lets have a technicality to excuse the fact that you intended to force a gnome like UI on KDE users. You conveniently ignored the comment about double-click I see. Hmm. If I wanted a gnome UI, I would use gnome.

What an odd statement.

And it was intemperate too – probably not the best way to go on these forums.

For myself, I’m grateful that some other ppl take the time to update Yast, a config tool that ranks top in the system config tool. I’m even more grateful that some ppl take the time to maintain the Suse suite of operating systems.

But what I’m most grateful for is that these ppl let me use their creations for free.

eek! ugly as! looks like gtk or something left over from 1995 :\

Agreeing on the lack of efficiency (I do not think that an aggressive post will give the best impact).

That said, I do not understand your post swerdna because:

In my view there is no best way to post on a forum.

Now, I can understand a justified critique on the harshness.

But I would rather have an explanation on the rest of your post. Is this an invitation for a kind of “auto-censorship”?

I would hope not. He didn’t say he wasn’t great-full (as one would understand between the lines - if not why would you mention gratefulness), he just disliked the reasons that are brought forward to justify the changes done. Reasons that in his view, as far as I understand, do not appear to him sufficiently sound, to justify some of the solutions implemented.

Or if one criticizes, one is already ungrateful?

So may I suppose it was just meant as a “proxy” to remind us to be a bit more soft in our statements?

Thanks for reassuring me.

One of the coolest things about the newest things in yast is how fast it is. I was really shocked.

Yes, many of us jump a bit quickly without looking at times (including me – definitely including me – witness the way I replied in support of mvidner).

Thanks for reassuring me.

You’re welcome.

growbag adjusted his/her AFDB on Monday 03 Aug 2009 00:56 to write:

>
> eek! ugly as! looks like gtk or something left over from 1995 :
>
>

I will agree 100% with ya there growbag.

Having used it yesterday I am left wondering why thy would have the section
selections on the left but everything on the right in one pane???

Granted you can close the left pane and then you are presented with one page
which has to be scrolled unless you are viewing on a big monitor, some of
use are restricted on our resolutions here.

If like me you are getting a bit long in the tooth and the old eyes are
going then on a 1024x756 screen with decent fonts and icons it is a pain in
the butt, note this is just my sand box but some people do not have the
luxury of 24" monitors or 1600x1200 resolutions.

There should be a “Classic view” IMHO.

If there is and I did not see it then please disregard this load of drivel
as I only used it once then dropped to the ncurses version for the rest or
used zypper.

:slight_smile:

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

Intemperate – possibly; Some anger – definitely. It’s always a brave decision when a developer takes a leading application and either replaces it with a lesser one, or in this case, backdates it to a period of growth when children need the aid of a finger to mark their place in lists of text on the page, along with lots of little pictures. Is that how these developers view their users in 21C.

Odd statement? Well not quite as odd as the following one, but I don’t need to elaborate, as @stakanov exposed the dubious nature of it, in a somewhat subtle way. My own interpretation would follow the theory of “We must stifle any more adverse criticism”:

For myself, I’m grateful that some other ppl take the time to update Yast, a config tool that ranks top in the system config tool. I’m even more grateful that some ppl take the time to maintain the Suse suite of operating systems.

But what I’m most grateful for is that these ppl let me use their creations for free

At least my statement addressed the topic, so I trust you won’t find it too odd if I also go off-topic in reply. Human beings (on this planet anyway), from many different races and down the centuries, have mostly attributed the power of “creation” to god-like creatures. In modern times, some fashion designers and celebrity chefs aspire to it, but i hadn’t considered the possibility that software developers might attract that level of reverence.

Roman history is littered with the outcomes of that style of worship. If that seems odd to you, I can recommend perhaps that a rather well-known read on the subject would be I, Claudius, a novel by the English writer Robert Graves. I believe there is also a television and a film version, should you prefer those media. :slight_smile:

mine dont look like that on 3.5.10 11.1