Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen the new YaST?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Anyone seen the new YaST?

I rather like it. I just don't like having to double click.

What do y'all think of this?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone seen the new YaST?

it's not very different from Yast in Gnome
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

the double click is annoying
    and the new look is kinda silly because it has left and right side which is kinda usless IMHO why have it doubled like that when you can access the right side all that is on the left

Is that part of the the new GKDE desktop? Another example of either a solution looking for a problem, or nothing else to do so let's re-arrange the deckchairs.

I can get used to single or double click, but it's a PITA when mixed on the same DE. Haven't they learnt anything about good UI design? I thought the rehearsal ended with 11.0 - my mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Is that part of the the new GKDE desktop? Another example of either a solution looking for a problem, or nothing else to do so let's re-arrange the deckchairs.

I can get used to single or double click, but it's a PITA when mixed on the same DE. Haven't they learnt anything about good UI design? I thought the rehearsal ended with 11.0 - my mistake.

That was the KDE 3.5.10 desktop using YaST Qt.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

@Jonathan_R
    What DE were you running it on, 11.2??

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Another example of either a solution looking for a problem, or nothing else to do so let's re-arrange the deckchairs.
    No. The old Qt control center was the last thing in the distro using Qt 3, so it had to go. Once we were rewriting it, we decided to make it similar to the Gtk variant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mvidner View Post
    No. The old Qt control center was the last thing in the distro using Qt 3, so it had to go. Once we were rewriting it, we decided to make it similar to the Gtk variant.
    I thought it looked like my Yast in Gnome, but with nice Icons in the "Groups" column etc. IMO better laid out than KDE style (from an accessibility/comprehension POV).
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Not really impressed. Less is more.
    And I don't like at all gnome style. It's naturally a question of personal taste. (That's why I use openSUSE because up to 10.3 they had a good KDE implementation. Hope that 4.3 will be up to expectations).
    I hope the double click issue can be changed to one click through menu. Otherwise it will get really confusing for users. Here one click, there two.......
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

That screenshot is only part of it; about two thirds of the way through Andreas Jaeger's Linux Tag presentation there are several more different shots of it; the first half is mostly a repeat in German of what Joe Brockmeier said in English. You only get the YaST information when you have sat through all that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast