Thread: Intel-536ep not configurable

Default Intel-536ep not configurable

Hello,

I find myself in the rare situation where I need to send a fax. I've had a faxmodem installed in this machine since before I installed OpenSuSE 11.1 64-bit (with all current updates). No problem I thought...I went poking around and found the modem stuff wasn't installed...Odd...so I installed the yast2 modem stuff and rebooted.

Now when I attempt to configure the modem via Yast it says it needs to install the Intel-536ep package. I tell it OK. It "seems" to complete successfully, then comes back with

"The required packages are not installed. The configruation will be aborted. Try again?"

No matter what you do, it cannot successfully get past this point. I even tried searching for "536" in the software products via Yast to see if I could install the stuff myself.

It appears we have a serious driver problem. This worked when I had Windows XP installed on this machine. It also worked when I used to run Ubuntu.

What gives?

I'll never be able to send a fax if I cannot get the drivers for the modem to install.

Exclamation Re: Intel-536ep not configurable

I'm about 15 minutes away from copying what I need off here and installing Ubuntu. What a puddle of doo-doo.

I had another generic faxmodem card laying around. Actually brand new Sterling still in shrinkwrap. Powered down, installed it, OpenSuSE finds it, Modem thing in Yast lets one configure it for dial-up. So far, so good.

Now, try to get fax working. Now THERE is a fine fine fisting. Tried the Hylafax stuff which is part of the OpenSuSE distro. Good luck. You need an external modem pluged into a legacy serial port. If an entry doesn't exist in /dev you're pooched. So much for a plug&play PCI modem card. Why is the software even included in the distro??? To add insult to injury, I took my last external 14.4 U.S. Robotics faxmodem to the electronic recycle center back in Feb or March. Hadn't used one of them in nearly a decade and needed the shelf space.

Is there a fax software solution for OpenSuSE 11.1 64-bit which actually works with a plug&play internal faxmodem? Obviously KInternet figured out how to deal with this beast, how come neither Hylafax or Efax have? Is there a magic directory tree under /dev that will make one of these work?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Intel-536ep not configurable

I had another generic faxmodem card laying around. Actually brand new Sterling still in shrinkwrap. Powered down, installed it, OpenSuSE finds it, Modem thing in Yast lets one configure it for dial-up. So far, so good.
    Not familiar with Hylafax. Perhaps, you could try to symlink your modem device node to /dev/modem. For example, with a usb modem, you might do

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem
    If you're not sure about the device, try

/usr/sbin/hwinfo
    My external serial modem shows up like this for example:

05: USB 00.0: 0700 Serial controller
    [Created at usb.122]
    UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_1199_23_noserial_if0_serial_usb_0
    Unique ID: ADDn.2k_RYTY5Gk4
    Parent ID: k4bc.v+N+B0xY+P6
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0
    SysFS BusID: 1-1:1.0
    Hardware Class: unknown
    Model: "Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO Modem"
    Hotplug: USB
    Vendor: usb 0x1199 "Sierra Wireless, Inc."
    Device: usb 0x0023 "Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO Modem"
    Revision: "0.02"
    Driver: "sierra"
    Driver Modules: "sierra"
    Device File: /dev/ttyUSB0
    Device Number: char 188:0
    Speed: 12 Mbps
    Module Alias: "usb:v1199p0023d0002dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF"
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: sierra is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe sierra"
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #11 (Hub)
    I did play around with efax several suse versions ago without problem using my internal 'linmodem'.

Default Re: Intel-536ep not configurable

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Not familiar with Hylafax. Perhaps, you could try to symlink your modem device node to /dev/modem. For example, with a usb modem, you might do

If you're not sure about the device, try

My external serial modem shows up like this for example:

I did play around with efax several suse versions ago without problem using my internal 'linmodem'.
    The problem is SuSE went off and changed how the devices are found in prug&pray mode. Now you have to hand jam a bunch of kludges to make things work. They shouldn't have changed this until they had at least one product working for each device.

This is one of the reasons Ubuntu is so popular.