Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 with Linux. Error 25 GRUB stage 1.5

Default Day 1 with Linux. Error 25 GRUB stage 1.5

Hello everyone. A few days ago I decided to ditch Windows for good. I read for hours about a Linux distro and settled on OpenSUSE.

I just need to say one thing. Linux is not for the feint of heart, and everywhere I turn (forums), I see computers riddled with error messages, frustrated people, and the list goes on.

I'm willing to work through this though since I feel that the benefits will outweigh anything that Microsoft can offer, so here goes.

Upon installing the new build of OpenSUSE, I encountered an error message that was fixed by hitting retry (I forgot the name, but I remember it being something like Etk3 or something of the sort).

My issue now is not being able to boot into the OS. I'm getting Error 25 from GRUB on stage 1.5

Thank you for reading,
    Michael

Clarification: I've installed 11.1 over my Windows XP partition. I want XP no more. Additionally, I read the sticky and followed all the instructions. I also selected the KDE desktop (I still don't know the difference between that and GNOME despite Googling it several times).
    Last edited by arakavaz; 31-Jul-2009 at 00:26. Reason: Clarification

Default More Clarification

Upon installing the new build of OpenSUSE, I encountered an error message stating the following: "Error Detected. The Ext3 file system of the partition /dev/sda2 is corrupted. To repair the file system, press repair." Repairing did not work since it said there was an "Error reading block 175 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read). /dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY. (i.e., without -a or -p options)" which I have no clue about, so I decided to hit skip.

My issue now is not being able to boot into the OS. I'm getting Error 25 from GRUB on stage 1.5

I've committed to becoming a nerd, and one day I hope to be one of the gurus answering all of these questions about OpenSUSE that so many people seem to have. I'm going to be as patient as I can for now since I really don't want to give up on this.

Default Re: Day 1 with Linux. Error 25 GRUB stage 1.5

Apparently, I've another error from /sda3 as well as /sda2

I don't even know what /sda is.

Additionally, it's telling me now (I swear it didn't tell me this before) that I have no mountable partitions or valid root partitions.

forget /sda, it's time for /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by arakavaz View Post
    I don't even know what /sda is.
    sda is a hard drive and sda1, sda2, etc are partitions on it.

As far as the errors go, have you simply tried reinstalling to see if it fixes itself?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

Hey, thanks for replying! Yes, I've tried several reinstalls.

Hi,

The error you are getting from grub is literally this:

25 : Disk read error
    This error is returned if there is a disk read error when trying to probe or read data from a particular disk.

That is usually a very bad sympton, and could be reporting some physical disk fault. This seems to be confirmed by the corrupt errors you got also.
    Under these circumstances, taking also into account that you dont seem to be very familiar with linux disk basic management, I would suggest to try again with a healthy disk.

By the way, /dev/sdx (x being a,b,c.... and so on so forth) is what is called a disk device file.
    To make it short, it is the linux way of handling and refering to disk devices, something similar to Windows C:, D:, etc.

Please take a look to the chapter 10 of this excelent article to know more about disk naming convention and management:

Concepts - openSUSE

In your current situation, it is a must.

Enjoy it!

Hope this help.

Regards.

It does sound like the hard drive may have something wrong with it, or if your lucky, it could be the media your installing from is faulty.

When installing you can do a media check, if you haven't done this try it next.

Here's some install info Installation Help - openSUSE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all very much for the responses.

The media check did pass, but I read on another forum that some guy has been having the exact same problem and fixed it by doing the following:

"All you have to do is go into your CMOS setting in your bios. Make sure all of your hard drives are set to manual (or user) and to LBA mode."

No idea how to do this. I smashed F8 to get into BIOS, but couldn't find any CMOS settings anywhere for changing my hard drive settings.

Hi,

The media check installation task will only verify that the dvd installation sources are healthy but wont test every physical block state in every disk in your system.

Regarding the LBA thing in BIOS, it used to be a problem in old machines. New ones, featuring disks with storage capacity above 10 GB have this mode enabled by default. Anyway, to be on the safe side, double check it is so by entering into your BIOS setting utility. If unsure about what this is and how to manage it, read the manual for your BIOS.

The grub version that is shipped with Open Suse, grub-0.97-156.3, is the GNU one, which supports LBA.
    So, if enabled in BIOS, it wont give you any trouble.

If after that you are still getting grub errors like the one at the very beginning, they are likely caused by a faulty disk.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by arakavaz View Post
    Thank you all very much for the responses.

The media check did pass, but I read on another forum that some guy has been having the exact same problem and fixed it by doing the following:

"All you have to do is go into your CMOS setting in your bios. Make sure all of your hard drives are set to manual (or user) and to LBA mode."

No idea how to do this. I smashed F8 to get into BIOS, but couldn't find any CMOS settings anywhere for changing my hard drive settings.
    I don't think this is the problem! If your computer was manufactured in the last decade and has a drive detected as larger than 8.4GB, the BIOS settings should be OK.

If the install media is OK then your hard drive probably has some bad sectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast