Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: AutoYast network config - Ask info not retained

  1. #1

    Default AutoYast network config - Ask info not retained

    I'm trying to semi-automate the build of several Xen VMs using autoyast image files. The goal is to automate everything except for the hostname and ipaddr, which will be passed from an <ask-list> so I can use one xml file for all installations.

    Xen server is running SLES 10 sp2, VMs will be running openSuSE 10.3 or 11.1 (whichever I can make work and appears stable). I have combed the forums and tried multiple xml variations. Here are the most recent variations I have tried:

    <ask-list config:type="list">
    <pathlist config:type="list">
    <title>New Server Name</title>
    <question>Enter the server name:</question>
    <pathlist config:type="list">
    <title>New Server IP address</title>
    <question>Enter the server IP address:</question>


    <interfaces config:type="list">
    <dhcp_hostname config:type="boolean">false</dhcp_hostname>
    <dhcp_resolv config:type="boolean">true</dhcp_resolv>
    <nameservers config:type="list">
    <managed config:type="boolean">false</managed>
    <ip_forward config:type="boolean">false</ip_forward>
    <routes config:type="list">


    I have tried using both <stage>initial</stage> and <stage>cont</stage>, with 'initial' being my preference. In both cases I get prompted at the appropriate time during the installation and I see that eth0 has been assigned the correct address right up until the end when I get to the first login prompt.

    I can't find the <element>value</element> syntax documented anywhere other than a couple of threads where it appears to resolve other users' problems. Since I've added it I get the literal word 'value' in the ipaddr for eth0, prior to that I was getting nothing.

    Thanks in advance, Paul
    Last edited by pdoubek; 30-Jul-2009 at 15:35. Reason: spelling errors and flow

  2. #2

    Default Re: AutoYast network config - Ask info not retained

    Well... 40 some-odd views and no replies, so in case anyone is interested...

    My XML worked installing openSuSE 11.1, but it wouldn't work properly with 10.3. I haven't had time to really pinpoint the problem, but I suspect <pathlist> was failing even though I thought I read that it was the non-deprecated syntax for both of these versions of the OS. I hope this saves someone some time and frustration.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts