Thread: Strange, "Bursty" Connectivity on Windows Network

Default Strange, "Bursty" Connectivity on Windows Network

Hi folks,

I installed OpenSUSE 11.1 on my machine at work earlier this week (was hoping to get some F/OSS video editing software). I've been on Ubuntu for about three years or so now at home, but I wanted something a bit more business-oriented for the workplace.

Anyway, I installed with KDE 4.1, made sure all the hardware worked, and proceeded to configure my network settings. I disabled the NetworkManager and went instead with YaST ifup, since it seemed to offer a lot more in the way of configuration options.

Now, the connection works, to be sure, but it is far from consistent. DNS lookups for web pages can take varying amounts of time (but once resolved download speed is quite good). The real issue is when I attempt to connect to the online repositories. For whatever reason, I will initially get good connectivity, and then gradually downloads will grind to a halt as the repositories are refreshing, at which point I will get either a network timeout or a DNS lookup error, depending on where it freezes. If I didn't know better, I would say that our LAN's server is prioritizing the Windows traffic ahead of mine, and I get stuck at the end of the line, eventually stopping.

Interestingly enough, I can recall having this problem on KDE 3.5 under Ubuntu, but GNOME in both distros seems to be fine. Is this a common KDE issue?

If anybody has any idea what is going on here, I would love to know. FYI, I'm using a direct connection to the net, not logging on to the Windows domain, just as I am under my Windows install on the same machine (to access our network shares, I use a different login to connect to the network drives). I've got Samba packages installed, but I haven't really configured it. In the meantime, I'm adding software from the DVD, but if I want updates, sooner or later I will need to access the online repositories.

Oddly enough, it seems as though the Installation process had no trouble downloading from the repositories, but once I got into my desktop, I was stuck in the mud. Finally, before anybody says anything, IPv6 is disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Strange, "Bursty" Connectivity on Windows Network

Did you disable IPv6?
    Disable IPv6 - openSUSE Forums
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Strange, "Bursty" Connectivity on Windows Network

Yeah, as I said toward the end of the first post -- I realize it was pretty dang long -- I disabled IPv6 with no change to performance.