Database wanted!

Greetings, my friends. Currently I own many terrabytes of data. These are stored in multiple formats as Ebooks, Movies, Links, Text, Programs, and many others.

And that’s were your opinion pops into place: I want to index everything. From the smallest bug to the biggest scyscraper. Now here’s the magic question: Which database software exists that is recommended?
It should be capable of catagorizing itmes into sections as well as search via title and other specifications. Neat would be to see small pictures on a side bar for e.g. “film” and “PDF”.

You know of one that’s very worth it’s shot? GREAT. Tell me. :wink:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you want a database to categorize the
contents of all the files in your directories?
It sounds more like a directory manager than a simple database. I know
of no such thing, but I know little of what’s available.
You might have to write your own scripts using a database such as
mysql. If your files and directories are already organized, your
script could scan the directories and use the directory names,
structure and file extension to do much of this. You would need to
include a function to edit mistakes.

TheMask wrote:

>
> Greetings, my friends. Currently I own many terrabytes of data.
These
> are stored in multiple formats as Ebooks, Movies, Links, Text,
Programs,
> and many others.
> And that’s were your opnion comes into place: I want to index
> everything. From the smallest bug to the biggest scyscraper. Now
here’s
> the magic question: Which database software exists that is
recommended?
> You know of one that’s very worth it’s shot? GREAT. Tell me. It
should
> be capable of catagorizing itmes into sections as well as search via
> title and other specifications. Neat would be to see small pictures
on a
> side bar for e.g. “film” and “PDF”.
>
> Thanks for telling YOUR opinion. :wink:
>
>

Thanks for replying. I’d prefer an already existing software with a colourful GUI.
It shouldn’t scan my drives, but rather work as an index to be able to look up IF and WHERE I’ve stored the relevant data. Something like…

… the infamous Beagle???

Is your data on a server-type environment or a desktop. Beagle may work it the system that has the files is the system you are going to search/open/access the files from.

If they are on a server then I don’t know of any solution for it, but I would look for a Search Engine for indexing it all, like Beagle (but for servers).

Kinda like a personal Google server?

Let me clarify: I am moving stuff around, burning things to DVD, borrow some great things to friends and more importantly now everything is on my HDDs.
See, I’m looking for some kind of beautiful, shiny indexing system to categorize, sort and mark the files that I have. By hand. :wink:

If you’re looking for a manual way of categorising your collections you may want to take a look at Tellico.

I use this for my music collection but it may also be used for other types of collections including customisable collections.

Tellico looks good to me so far… the ONLY thing that bothers me is that it say “book collection manager”. Is it possible to index CDs/DVDs, Text as well as other content?
If anyone comes up with a stylish solution for KDE4… even better. :wink:

Yes, as far as I can tell, this is still KDE3.

As far as CD’s are concerned it will search online for the track listings to populate the track fields (as long as the CD is in your CD tray!) and album covers can be inserted. All the other tags that form the header in an MP3 file can also be imported and/or edited. There are also fields for other info such as purchase date, price, etc.

Other collection templates include: Books, Bibliography, Comic Book, Video, Music (i.e.CD), Coin, Stamp, Card, Wine, Game, Board Game, File and Custom. Most, if not all fields may be edited.

I’ve just tested Tellico and its absolutely siutable to handle the purpose I want it for.
The ONLY thing I really think is annoying is, that I have to save a new file for each collection that I create. Let’s say I want to throw DVDs and PDFs together in one database (*.tc-file).
I’d just tell Tellico to create a new “custom collection”, but certainly I don’t get the neat classification tabs to store the Author, a rating, etc. - that seems to be only available for SPECIFIC collections. Darn.

If anyone knows a workaround, I’m all ears.

…just found out how to add fields. Is there a way to use the same fields in “custom collection” as in “DVDs”?

I did not do this, but I had the impression that you can start from a custom collection that is nearest to your wishes and remove/add fields from there, give it another name, etc.

May be you should take some more time testing the product, trying all sorts of things, etc. :slight_smile:

Edit: And of course you can look in a custom collection what the values are that belong to a field you like, write them down and use them for yoour own field in your own collection.

Great. Do you know how long it takes to create those fields by hand? They should be importable somehow…