Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notice to update MozillaFirefox 3.0.x when 3.5.x installed

Question Notice to update MozillaFirefox 3.0.x when 3.5.x installed

Hi All,

I installed FF 3.5 via mozilla repo and removed FF 3.0.x but I keep getting nagged to update to FF 3.0.12.

I can deselect that particular update when updating the system but it's rather annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Anyone else have this problem? How'd you solve it?

Is it because the Update repo has a higher priority? But I don't see how that should matter if FF 3.0.x is removed from the system.

laptop:~ # rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
    MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-3.5-12.4
    MozillaFirefox-3.5.1-3.1

Thanks!

Cheers

Default Re: Notice to update MozillaFirefox 3.0.x when 3.5.x install

Hi,

Could you please open a terminal and provide the output of typing:

Code:
    zypper lr --details
    Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Hey blender1968,

I hope this helps any. Those are the packages that I've currently installed - and with this configuration everything works perfectly.

TheMask@Superpussy:~> rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
    MozillaFirefox-3.5.1-1.1
    MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-3.5-12.2
    MozillaFirefox-translations-3.5.1-1.1
    beagle-firefox-0.3.8-46.34.1
    Good luck!
    CHECK OUT THESE GitHub PROJECTS!

https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
    https://github.com/SecUpwN/Spotify-AdKiller

TheMask,

The thing is, if his update repo has higher priority, Yast will tell him to upgrade his packages to that of the update repository, even if the packages from a different repository are newer. I just checked and the update repo does have the lower version of firefox. So it's very likely the update repository priority is the cause.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

I have had the same & did the update. It will not touch firefox,just xulrunner,nsprr & one other ( can't remember which atm) I updated 3 days ago with no ill effects.Personally i prefer Seamonkey browser.

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer44 View Post
    I have had the same & did the update. It will not touch firefox,just xulrunner,nsprr & one other ( can't remember which atm) I updated 3 days ago with no ill effects.Personally i prefer Seamonkey browser.

Andy
    Strangely, I had this update come via the official repo to a 10.3 system I retained. The distributed (updated) FF version for 10.3 is 2.0.0.22. I tried to install it, but it failed with dependency errors on xulrunner etc. Hmm, it couldn't satisfy them from the normal distribution repo. I guess someone screwed up.

BTW, do you prefer Seamonkey (on 11.1) for ease of use, or is it faster than FF?? I haven't tried it yet.

I had the same dependency errors on xulrunner etc. until a few days ago. Apperently something has been done. It now updates and installs a new xulrunner, the old one is still there.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    BTW, do you prefer Seamonkey (on 11.1) for ease of use, or is it faster than FF?? I haven't tried it yet.
    I prefer it as it is an all in one piece of software. It has email,chat,web & web-page creator ( wysiwyg ) all integrated & to me is faster than firefox,as once you use one component,all the rest can be accessed from that component,instead of firing up another prog to take up resources.That's MHO, try it & see what you think

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

Thanks Andy, your comments particularly on performance are encouraging. I will definitely try it out. Any performance gains are worth considering, given the growing trend for resource hungry software releases these days.

Someone else posted with the same problem. The solution was given here (I think):

Running Mozilla 3.5 updater wants to update/rollback to 3.0 - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

but I guess that is for KDE environment. I don't have the same menu structure in Gnome. Particularly the "Update all in this list unconditionally".

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast