Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

Default Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

Hello.
    When I watch movies in Smplayer there is a scratchy sound sometimes. All volume is on the 100% and I follow the guide on Scratching sounds in opensuse 11.1 - openSUSE Forums but nothing works.
    If the volume is not on the 100 % I can't hear anything or just very little.

I also makes the scratch sounds when I see movies on youtube or playing games,

What is wrong and how do I fix this???

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

Quote Originally Posted by Nesrail View Post
    When I watch movies in Smplayer there is a scratchy sound sometimes. All volume is on the 100% ...... What is wrong and how do I fix this???
    Volume at 100% will cause distortion/scratching. You need to lower the volume control setting

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Volume at 100% will cause distortion/scratching. You need to lower the volume control setting
    How much??? I can barely hear anything at 100 %.

Blog Entries

How much??? I can barely hear anything at 100 %.
    Only the person who hears the actual audio can say "how much".

Did you also go to YAST > HARDWARE > SOUND > OTHER > VOLUME and move both the PCM and Master (and speaker/surround if applicable) volume controls there up to a reasonable (but distortion avoiding) levels. Then close YaST. And then go to your mixer (kmix in kde and alsamixer/amixer in Gnome) and move the PCM, Master (and speaker/surrournd if applicable) to levels where the volume is ok and the distortion not present?

Only the person who hears the actual audio can say "how much".

Did you also go to YAST > HARDWARE > SOUND > OTHER > VOLUME and move both the PCM and Master (and speaker/surround if applicable) volume controls there up to a reasonable (but distortion avoiding) levels. Then close YaST. And then go to your mixer (kmix in kde and alsamixer/amixer in Gnome) and move the PCM, Master (and speaker/surrournd if applicable) to levels where the volume is ok and the distortion not present?
    Yep, but the same. And then I can't hear anything.

Blog Entries

Is there any chance your hardware is too new to have a good implementation for it in alsa?

Is there any chance your hardware is too new to have a good implementation for it in alsa?
    My computer is about a year og a half year old. Is that to new????

I just installed VLC player and the sound is loud enough. Maybe its only SMplayer.

Blog Entries

I just installed VLC player and the sound is loud enough. Maybe its only SMplayer.
    The problem I find with vlc player is when one moves up the sound higher than about 25% volume, one will get severe distortion. .... At least its that way on my PCs.

Blog Entries

My computer is about a year og a half year old. Is that to new????
    Too new ? I don't know. How can I ? I do not know what hardware your 1.5 year old computer has. Nor do I know your PC's software configuration.

You could run a diagnostic script that checks your PC's hardware and software audio configuration, and then the script uploads a summary of the configuration to the internet and provides you a URL where the information is located. Thus you can then pass the URL to others who can check your configuration.

To run that script in openSUSE-11.1, with your PC connected to the Internet, type "su" to get root permissions (enter root password when promted) and type:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    That will ask you if you wish to update the script. Select YES. The script will update.

Then run the script a second time:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and this time let the script complete properly. When it finishes it will give you a URL (where your PC's configuration for audio is stored). You can then pass the URL to people who are trying to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast