Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

  1. #1

    Default Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Hello.
    When I watch movies in Smplayer there is a scratchy sound sometimes. All volume is on the 100% and I follow the guide on Scratching sounds in opensuse 11.1 - openSUSE Forums but nothing works.
    If the volume is not on the 100 % I can't hear anything or just very little.

    I also makes the scratch sounds when I see movies on youtube or playing games,

    What is wrong and how do I fix this???

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,144
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Nesrail View Post
    When I watch movies in Smplayer there is a scratchy sound sometimes. All volume is on the 100% ...... What is wrong and how do I fix this???
    Volume at 100% will cause distortion/scratching. You need to lower the volume control setting

  3. #3

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Volume at 100% will cause distortion/scratching. You need to lower the volume control setting
    How much??? I can barely hear anything at 100 %.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,144
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Nesrail View Post
    How much??? I can barely hear anything at 100 %.
    Only the person who hears the actual audio can say "how much".

    Did you also go to YAST > HARDWARE > SOUND > OTHER > VOLUME and move both the PCM and Master (and speaker/surround if applicable) volume controls there up to a reasonable (but distortion avoiding) levels. Then close YaST. And then go to your mixer (kmix in kde and alsamixer/amixer in Gnome) and move the PCM, Master (and speaker/surrournd if applicable) to levels where the volume is ok and the distortion not present?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Only the person who hears the actual audio can say "how much".

    Did you also go to YAST > HARDWARE > SOUND > OTHER > VOLUME and move both the PCM and Master (and speaker/surround if applicable) volume controls there up to a reasonable (but distortion avoiding) levels. Then close YaST. And then go to your mixer (kmix in kde and alsamixer/amixer in Gnome) and move the PCM, Master (and speaker/surrournd if applicable) to levels where the volume is ok and the distortion not present?
    Yep, but the same. And then I can't hear anything.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,144
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Is there any chance your hardware is too new to have a good implementation for it in alsa?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Is there any chance your hardware is too new to have a good implementation for it in alsa?
    My computer is about a year og a half year old. Is that to new????

  8. #8

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    I just installed VLC player and the sound is loud enough. Maybe its only SMplayer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,144
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Nesrail View Post
    I just installed VLC player and the sound is loud enough. Maybe its only SMplayer.
    The problem I find with vlc player is when one moves up the sound higher than about 25% volume, one will get severe distortion. .... At least its that way on my PCs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    27,144
    Blog Entries
    40

    Default Re: Scratch sound in Opensuse 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Nesrail View Post
    My computer is about a year og a half year old. Is that to new????
    Too new ? I don't know. How can I ? I do not know what hardware your 1.5 year old computer has. Nor do I know your PC's software configuration.

    You could run a diagnostic script that checks your PC's hardware and software audio configuration, and then the script uploads a summary of the configuration to the internet and provides you a URL where the information is located. Thus you can then pass the URL to others who can check your configuration.

    To run that script in openSUSE-11.1, with your PC connected to the Internet, type "su" to get root permissions (enter root password when promted) and type:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    That will ask you if you wish to update the script. Select YES. The script will update.

    Then run the script a second time:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and this time let the script complete properly. When it finishes it will give you a URL (where your PC's configuration for audio is stored). You can then pass the URL to people who are trying to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •