Thread: How do kill a resource hogzilla in OpenSuse 11.2

Default How do kill a resource hogzilla in OpenSuse 11.2

Hi all

I just have had some flashback experiences from the old, sad, MS windows days. My computer slows down and crashes over time.

I have now tracked the miscreant to bootchartd, and specifically pybootchartd-gui, which for some reason are active in the background on my system.

The thing is that they continue writing to /tmp until my root partition gets full and my computer completely stops (and pybootchart-gui takes up 600-700MiB RAM).
    There are no packages to uninstall with the bootchartd and I have not seen any settings where I can inactivate it.

Is there a smart way to kill this beast and are there reasons not to?
    OpenSuse/KDE/Inferno

Default Re: How do kill a resource hogzilla in OpenSuse 11.2

Should be bootchart should find it with yast and a search or zypper rm. Though strange I don't have it installed, though can't update at though mo.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

I do not have it installed, but despite this there is an /sbin/bootchartd and it IS running on my system and the pybootchart-gui is eating my resources (until I kill them, that is - just very annoying to have to do that everytime though).

I do not know how safe it would be to just rm those files in sbin though...

according to this bootchartd can also be used by some programs to monitor /proc...
    OpenSuse/KDE/Inferno

Safe... should be fine but far from ideal. It has to be installed what happens when you use then...
    Code:
    sudo zypper rm bootchartd
    The other thing try stopping it
    Code:
    sudo bootchartd stop
    It just collects stats from /proc and processes it into a pretty graph pic. Nothing depends on it for normal operations.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

zypper does not find bootchartd installed, so apparently it does not know about it.

hmmm... strange. This was a clean install, so it should not be old legacy stuff.
    OpenSuse/KDE/Inferno

OK one last thing to try still find it really strange as it doesn't seem to be on a default well at least for me.

Code:
    rpm -qf /sbin/bootchartd
    I'm suspecting this will be the same though as afaik zypper still uses the rpm db. 2 things come to mind one a corrupt database, or a manual install of it.