Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amarok versus KDE4-Amarok: difference = ?

Default Amarok versus KDE4-Amarok: difference = ?

These two versions of the Amarok product (Amarok on Packman and KDE-4 Amarok on one of the KDE repos.) seem both to be current.

Oops, now I notice there is also Amarok-Packman.

Are all 3 of these 2 products aimed at different targets?

What's the difference between them and how could I find that out, other than by installing and trying them both?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Amarok versus KDE4-Amarok: difference = ?

Actually there are:

amarok from packman (1.4versions)

kde4-amarok (from the 11.1 oss version 2)

amarok (version 2 from the kde4 Factory repos)

kde3-amarok (From kde3 BS repo, ver 1.4)

I'm using ver.2 from factory for kde4.3. But if you need better functionality for plugin devices 1.4 from Packman is the best. They are not hugely different really.
    Flash, k3b, Amarok - Install Guide - openSUSE Forums

*Notice the name change policy in amarok 2 and kde4-amarok 2
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Then you have amarok on KDE42 no 4 again(But 2.1) but how the hell is a newbee meant to untangle that lot.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

OK, thanks for that clarification.

I am too unsure of how to recover if I migrate to KDE 4.2 (from 4.1) and it isn't successful, so I think I'll stay with the 1.4 version of Amarok from Packman.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Not being a KDE4 user it made me run away and look else where after being first released without the functionality of kde3. I can't really comment on whether it is better or not but many around here use it fine and many claim it is better than what was originally released.

As for updating quite easy now me and Caf will do this differently. I prefer repo integrity over newer packages without caring about vendor so I will use zypper dup. Now I've done this several times by adding the 42repo and having no extra repos beyond the usual suspects and making the priorities all equal the same. As for going back down disabling/removing the kde42 repo and doing zypper dup again.

Now caf will do similar but will recommend update unconditionally via yast.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    Then you have amarok on KDE42 no 4 again(But 2.1) but how the hell is a newbee meant to untangle that lot.
    It is a bit of a mess isn't it. But I haven't had any problem at all.
    I know - I'm not a Newbie.
    But I ain't no Rocket Scientist either, so if I can figure it out.........
    Leap 15_KDE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    Not being a KDE4 user it made me run away and look else where after being first released without the functionality of kde3. I can't really comment on whether it is better or not but many around here use it fine and many claim it is better than what was originally released.

As for updating quite easy now me and Caf will do this differently. I prefer repo integrity over newer packages without caring about vendor so I will use zypper dup. Now I've done this several times by adding the 42repo and having no extra repos beyond the usual suspects and making the priorities all equal the same. As for going back down disabling/removing the kde42 repo and doing zypper dup again.

Now caf will do similar but will recommend update unconditionally via yast.
    You have me all figured out 'FM'.

But I don't get this:
    I prefer repo integrity over newer packages without caring about vendor
    As I see it - you must care about Vendor in order to maintain repo integrity.
    Maybe I misunderstand?
    zypper dup - Fine, I get it. Works fine too. Should be better support for this in 11.2
    Leap 15_KDE

@Caf

My point is Suse is making out its self to be a user friendly distro(Double click by default on 11.2 for example) Imo its simple we have external which there will never be any control over then.. Unstable/Testing, Current no more none of this easy access to stable/untesting masquerading as one clicks. One clicks came about due to difficulty some users had finding/installing packages now with the build service they are creating more of a mess than they where meant to be relieving.

We should have 3 clear categories
    Unstable/Testing (Not a million sub categories for each individual part, that end up looking like current)
    Current
    External/Community(Which includes OBS)

Edit
    Zypper dup will always choose vendor over package. So if there is 2 amarok it will choose vendor integrity its on the man page. As for better supported I find it fine, I've gone from 4.2 clean install, down to 4.1.3 back to 4.2 and added xorg factory and removed it with never any problems. I do care it is update unconditionally that doesn't

Amarok2 even today sucks compared to 1.4. Why oh why did they had to redesign a perfect interface and replace it with one that's unintuitive. And who the hell decided to put the play/stop control buttons at the top left corner, along with the progress bar??? Each time one wants to use them, one needs to go all the way up with his mouse pointer to use them. 1.4 had the controls and progress bar underneath the playlist which was optimal and intuitive. There was absolutely no need to replace it but I guess a moronic developer just had to scratch his itch and replace it with ****

@Microchip

The good news is that you will be able to customize the look of amarok in version 2.2 By simply drag and dropping certain parts of UI.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast