Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

  1. #1

    Default OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    Hello,

    I am going for a new installation of OpenSuse 11.1 (x32) and I need to have a 2.6.29 Kernel for reasons that relate to my hardware (WiMAX). Is there a way to include this newer kernel (OpenSuse 11.1 comes with a 2.6.27 kernel) during the installation? If not, are there any step-by-step instuctions for updating my kernel after the installation ?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blancfang View Post
    Hello,

    I am going for a new installation of OpenSuse 11.1 (x32) and I need to have a 2.6.29 Kernel for reasons that relate to my hardware (WiMAX). Is there a way to include this newer kernel (OpenSuse 11.1 comes with a 2.6.27 kernel) during the installation? If not, are there any step-by-step instuctions for updating my kernel after the installation ?

    Thank you
    see if this has the one you want you will have to add the repo after the install i believe
    Index of /repositories/Kernel:/Vanilla/openSUSE_11.1

  3. #3

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    Yeap, I got the default kernel rpm, but it will not install itself using Yast - it gives me a warning and asks for the OpenSuse 11.1 reinstallation DVD. I will come back with more details.

    Whas is a "repo" by the way, and what am I supposed to do with this file ?

    Is there any step-by-step instructions on how to update the kernel in OpenSuse 11.1 ?

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    A 'repo' is a software repository, also known as an installation source.
    Go to Yast: Software: Installation Sources and add it in there, I imagine,
    and that may help you.

    Good luck.





    Blancfang wrote:
    > Yeap, I got the default kernel rpm, but it will not install itself using
    > Yast - it gives me a warning and asks for the OpenSuse 11.1
    > reinstallation DVD. I will come back with more details.
    >
    > Whas is a "repo" by the way, and what am I supposed to do with this
    > file ?
    >
    > Is there any step-by-step instructions on how to update the kernel in
    > OpenSuse 11.1 ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJKcPM8AAoJEF+XTK08PnB5QxwP/jvJ6M6Db00De186uts2QqRV
    C5W433S2qBK1wlJEhwrSPlvJyrO5whZTEuZ4W1dnr1DxpMf0Mn4galXPAHkSOfZg
    +DRcV7J7Ext7+HM6R5Zh8AQaC2ONGbiYcqvRwT+eVqAIqcqrLaqxqztpVRK6JSLA
    MBRnPuuT2w+RBeWY3/BE2XicNZTpEK9WAa8bqdnNiUDSesJObR3iZGgh6At9dH7r
    6M5htdxaqkU5VjTJ8Pd4S3JeDHXW2GgkthE8YiCp6jhl/qGdx/gTHTUIXgbzOOaw
    q5YrKRfL93Kq2FRXQ3z4A2lAlWyjqtn9SUt+0zUa4EMxY1vfxUrfYSYW6Od/UcZV
    6k+42Bcn8QmGywpsAyN0MhUTqoNyxsWx3sBLLv2UZTJ9uGRiRKJNd085j7odz5Yi
    WeDhY8ILmg6HalOrqc6ATYfu6S093we7T16I1qHKT3I390Y0ussao5J4AkETzPp1
    CJIBtmt6gwD3uSi6qP6rZjC+tkqxlTolDC8MCskZ5lAfsd/Pn/giGpJ04otg50m/
    ZV1uTtsLUjXQPyGsZ14LhEEzGBCy6Qdv3g3rryiBAZgyQ4ZviMryLtVDRtvU5a7d
    ilF/B1MYaCrL4vsEfW84iyCPUSxSLIakYmVioOVLjmxw2SiulbtL8rB4MOazSzRK
    3ujOOJLiKxqa9nz4a63c
    =KLcc
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. #5

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    If adding the repository to Yast is a prerequisite for updating my kernel then I am stuck, because the reason I want to update the kernel is that the default (2.6.27) kernel that comes with the 11.1 distribution does not support my hardware (WiMAX), in other words I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO INTERNET UNDER MY LINUX OS.

    Can I still proceed with the kernel update and how ?

    Cheers

  6. #6

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    If Havoc65 was trying to get you to get the kernel from that site perhaps
    just go there manually (web browser) and find the kernel module you need.
    You should be able to install it with 'rpm' or 'zypper' from the command
    line as long as you can get the file to this machine.

    Good luck.





    Blancfang wrote:
    > If adding the repository to Yast is a prerequisite for updating my
    > kernel then I am stuck, because the reason I want to update the kernel
    > is that the default (2.6.27) kernel that comes with the 11.1
    > distribution does not support my hardware (WiMAX), in other words I DO
    > NOT HAVE ACCESS TO INTERNET UNDER MY LINUX OS.
    >
    > Can I still proceed with the kernel update and how ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJKcP6xAAoJEF+XTK08PnB51UsP/A59sJHXNW9hFgdhSXXMFsnB
    htaYiFg4JTbEnbJkG3Vgw1LvyFQDQpnuxwOG4iBLCdiWNaGd3Zq6sjUo0z1+OsY1
    mM6tD6UL5AfaoiOauXDpbZ3AqKrxH2gxyc92CsLv9OZ7lD07XJIIU0ZJmaNo0JYQ
    Jjdab0CLmmjKz5IorAd8Y3bR56I/jp/JLsKtu8vTSmD8Fa6tD10XiqjrPTh3X25x
    NIpXzrANkG82h9kA78QHWX+Sip9fRHJaWGHMh+qGBCE80/uuyAxLLiKHN93DDLc9
    jhaXES/YeLLaOwEKpPHttQyOJQqW7hqVQNSxKkegHwOXte+aDtJVYLfPew4+exuD
    Bvy5ST6532/H9bNfqpv7CJtWiamfWg/FXxGEDPXXrMF5eh7ZAV+jLgHmtO2sY4t/
    Yto9Hb0tkJnqNUuF5+ZY43471K1tRgIPhy107UxlKfXtIRb9CwyWyA6Su51vbxLj
    Am1W2ND42ZGLpk9y0Tm/cn52468ZNa7GQBBeLGZGyohxZ2jWDIIVUvSwzk630sl/
    aM5mq//4J5Nm9L2oz70HdG/3X9CMZaSxGXREUq6dIK4TtQScVdci+7v/wRJhw5a3
    MWYjXpQ6pXdpiHUR/cRxDtqimtJVAvCAjRF/az8xPbG0WBfL3HW2dIfXxt0RTNyo
    ZJpgDJ7sxkak4BkoswJe
    =1Dgh
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  7. #7

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)

    You could always download the kernel files from your friend etc. to your hard disk (kernel-default-base, kernel-default-extra, kernel-source would also be desirable and kernel syms and kernel headers )
    How does a linux geek make love??

    - rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    3,009
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: OpenSuse 11.1 with 2.6.29 kernel (???)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •