Crackling Sound

Hello all, this is my first time posting to these forums, so I thank you in advance for your patience…

I recently decided to try venturing into the openSUSE realm, and got openSUSE 11.0, KDE 3.5.9. I’m running it on a Dell clunker, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, plenty of hdd space, and “82801 EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC’97 Audio Controller”.

I have encountered this problem consistently in which my sound will work fine for a period of time after having started my computer (usually using the sound through something like Firefox in something with embedded Flash). After some seemingly arbitrary period of time, the sound starts to crackle, with it getting worse the longer it goes. I am able to reset the sound drivers by running the following command as root:

/etc/init.d/alsasound restart

It fixes it, but obviously, that’s not the most desirable solution. I heard that uninstalling libflashsupport had helped some people, but it’s not even installed on my system. I’ve tried messing with the mixer levels and can’t seem to get it to work. Here’s the rub: while firefox (and system sounds, etc.) have problems, Amarok is fine.

Any ideas?