Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: No channels found with DVB card

  1. #1

    Default No channels found with DVB card

    I am using openSuse 11.1 + KDE 4.2 on a desktop machine that I want to use as a media center. In the desktop computer I have a PCHDTV 5500 TV tuner card. I have successfully used this hardware with Debian Linux (Lenny) and MythTv. I decided that I wanted switch to openSuse. I've successfully used openSuse in the past with other hardware, just not with my current hardware.

    openSuse detects the card just fine as a pcHDTV HD-5500 tv card, but when I scan for channels with any program including mythTV, nothing is picked up. (I'm trying to scan for ATSC over-the-air digital broadcast channels). When I edit the hardware selection, and I click the "Tuner..." button, it says that No tuner is available for the selected card. That right there could be part of my problem. I tried manually selecting the pcHDTV HD-5500 tv card from the list. The "Tuner..." button no longer says that there is no tuner available, but it gives me a list of tuners to choose from and I don't know what to choose. I tried different ones and nothing seems to work. YAST happily configures the card, but none of the software can use it.

    Does anyone have any experience configuring and using the PCHDTV 5500 card with openSuse? I read the mythtv wiki, and I have all of the required packages installed. I am selecting the card as a "DVB" card in mythtv. My channel scans just seem to always come up empty. Any advice? I'd be happy to at least get it locking in on channels with any program. Then I could later mess with mythtv.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,110
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Quote Originally Posted by pontke
    I am using openSuse 11.1 + KDE 4.2 on a desktop machine that I want to
    use as a media center. In the desktop computer I have a PCHDTV 5500 TV
    tuner card. I have successfully used this hardware with Debian Linux
    (Lenny) and MythTv. I decided that I wanted switch to openSuse. I've
    successfully used openSuse in the past with other hardware, just not
    with my current hardware.

    openSuse detects the card just fine as a pcHDTV HD-5500 tv card, but
    when I scan for channels with any program including mythTV, nothing is
    picked up. (I'm trying to scan for ATSC over-the-air digital broadcast
    channels). When I edit the hardware selection, and I click the
    "Tuner..." button, it says that No tuner is available for the selected
    card. That right there could be part of my problem. I tried manually
    selecting the pcHDTV HD-5500 tv card from the list. The "Tuner..."
    button no longer says that there is no tuner available, but it gives me
    a list of tuners to choose from and I don't know what to choose. I
    tried different ones and nothing seems to work. YAST happily configures
    the card, but none of the software can use it.

    Does anyone have any experience configuring and using the PCHDTV 5500
    card with openSuse? I read the mythtv wiki, and I have all of the
    required packages installed. I am selecting the card as a "DVB" card in
    mythtv. My channel scans just seem to always come up empty. Any
    advice? I'd be happy to at least get it locking in on channels with any
    program. Then I could later mess with mythtv.

    Thanks!
    Hi
    What happens if you try a manual scan from the CLI (konsole)? Note
    following command is all on one line.

    Code:
    scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB -o zap | tee
    ~/channels.conf
    I use a USB device and the latest version of smplayer on my 11.1
    setup which supports TV now.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 2 days 9:42, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.14, 0.52
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14


  3. #3

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Thanks for your reply. When I run it from the CLI, I get a list of these:

    >>> tune to: 545028615:8VSB
    __tune_to_transponder:1516: ERROR: FE_READ_STATUS failed: 121 Remote I/O error

    until it finishes with 0 found. I tried it as the normal user and as root with the same result either way.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,110
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Quote Originally Posted by pontke
    Thanks for your reply. When I run it from the CLI, I get a list of
    these:

    >>> tune to: 545028615:8VSB

    __tune_to_transponder:1516: ERROR: FE_READ_STATUS failed: 121 Remote
    I/O error

    until it finishes with 0 found. I tried it as the normal user and as
    root with the same result either way.

    Thanks
    Hi
    So it looks like it doesn't like the module it's using....
    What about output from the dmesg command, does it show any errors for
    the device? Do you have a device appearing ok under the /dev/dvb
    directory?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 3 days 3:40, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.14, 0.10
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14


  5. #5

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Malcolmlewis,


    It appears as if the device is appearing properly in /dev/dvb. Under /dev/dvb there is an "adapter0" directory and under that there is a number of files: demux0, dvr0, frontend0, net0.

    However, when I do the "dmesg" command, I do see a number of these errors:

    Code:
    or51132: Waiting for firmware upload(dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw)...                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    firmware: requesting dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    or51132: No firmware uploaded(timeout or file not found?)                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    or51132: I2C error reading register 0: -6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    or51132: read_status: error reading receiver status: -121
    It appears as if you're right. It is looking for firmware. The weird part is that any kernel version beyond 2.6.18 should have it built in. YAST seems to recognize it. What do I need to do to get the firmware loaded?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,110
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Quote Originally Posted by pontke
    Malcolmlewis,


    It appears as if the device is appearing properly in /dev/dvb. Under
    /dev/dvb there is an "adapter0" directory and under that there is a
    number of files: demux0, dvr0, frontend0, net0.

    However, when I do the "dmesg" command, I do see a number of these
    errors:


    Code:
    --------------------
    or51132: Waiting for firmware
    upload(dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw)... firmware: requesting
    dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw or51132: No firmware uploaded(timeout or file not
    found?) or51132: I2C error reading register 0:
    -6 or51132: read_status: error reading receiver status:
    -121 --------------------


    It appears as if you're right. It is looking for firmware. The weird
    part is that any kernel version beyond 2.6.18 should have it built in.
    YAST seems to recognize it. What do I need to do to get the firmware
    loaded?
    Hi
    If you have the kernel-source installed, you need to run the following
    as command;
    Code:
    sudo perl /usr/src/linux/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware or51132_vsb
    Else, search the net for the script get_dvb_firmware

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 4:13, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.19, 0.12
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14


  7. #7

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Thanks for the suggestions! It's getting closer. I ran the command you suggested and it extracted dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw. It then told me to copy it to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware or /lib/firmware depending on how hotplug was configured. I copied it to /lib/firmware because /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware did not exist.

    /lib/firmware already had a firmware file named dvb-ttpci-01.fw-2622 and a soft link named dvb-ttpci-01.fw which points to dvb-ttpci-01.fw-2622. After copying the new fw file into the directory, I reboot and did a scan. I get the following error:

    scanning /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
    using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
    main:2273: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0': 16 Device or resource busy

    So then I deleted the soft link file and recreated it to point to the new firmware file dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw. I reboot and ran another scan. I still get the same error message. Do I need to completely remove the old firmware file? Is it conflicting with the new one? How do I find out what is currently holding on to the device?

    dmesg now shows the following:

    cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected]
    cx88[0]: TV tuner type 64, Radio tuner type -1
    cx88[0]: Test OK
    tuner' 2-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
    tda9887 2-0043: creating new instance
    tda9887 2-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found
    tuner' 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
    tuner-simple 2-0061: creating new instance
    tuner-simple 2-0061: type set to 64 (LG TDVS-H06xF)
    cx88[0]/2: cx2388x 8802 Driver Manager
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC2] enabled at IRQ 17
    vendor=10de device=03f3
    cx88-mpeg driver manager 0000:01:09.2: PCI INT A -> Link[APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:09.2, rev: 5, irq: 17, latency: 32, mmio: 0xf8000000
    vendor=10de device=03f3
    cx8800 0000:01:09.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:01:09.0, rev: 5, irq: 17, latency: 32, mmio: 0xf6000000
    cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
    cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
    vendor=10de device=03f3
    cx88_audio 0000:01:09.1: PCI INT A -> Link[APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    cx88[0]/1: CX88x/0: ALSA support for cx2388x boards
    cx88/2: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
    cx88/2: registering cx8802 driver, type: dvb access: shared
    cx88[0]/2: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47]
    cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based DVB/ATSC card
    tuner-simple 2-0061: attaching existing instance
    tuner-simple 2-0061: type set to 64 (LG TDVS-H06xF)
    tda9887 2-0043: attaching existing instance
    DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0])
    DVB: registering frontend 0 (LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend)...
    No error messages.

    Thanks for the help so far!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,110
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Quote Originally Posted by pontke
    Thanks for the suggestions! It's getting closer. I ran the command you
    suggested and it extracted dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw. It then told me to
    copy it to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware or /lib/firmware depending on how
    hotplug was configured. I copied it to /lib/firmware because
    /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware did not exist.

    /lib/firmware already had a firmware file named dvb-ttpci-01.fw-2622
    and a soft link named dvb-ttpci-01.fw which points to
    dvb-ttpci-01.fw-2622. After copying the new fw file into the directory,
    I reboot and did a scan. I get the following error:

    scanning /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
    using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
    main:2273: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0': 16
    Device or resource busy

    So then I deleted the soft link file and recreated it to point to the
    new firmware file dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw. I reboot and ran another scan.
    I still get the same error message. Do I need to completely remove the
    old firmware file? Is it conflicting with the new one? How do I find
    out what is currently holding on to the device?

    Thanks!
    Hi
    I would try leaving the original files as they were and just place the
    new firmware there.

    Then in YaST delete the card, reboot and have a look back in YaST to
    reconfigure it. Then try the command line scan.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 6:51, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.10, 0.15
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14


  9. #9

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    I deleted the entry in YAST, as suggested. YAST, of course, immediately redetects it and it shows up again unconfigured. I reboot the computer and went into YAST to configure the TV card. When I get to the step of scanning channels (within YAST), it does something it never did before. It actually scans through about 83 channels before saying that 0 channels were detected. Before it would instantly say 0 channels without actually scanning.

    When I drop out to the CLI and run the scan command, I still get the error where it says that the device or resource is busy. Just for giggles, I went into mythtv to see what it does. When I do a channel scan within mythtv, it just sits there on a blank screen rather than scanning.

    This brings up something interesting. I had this card working in Debian, but about a week before reformatting and choosing to install openSuse, I decided to rescan the channels to find out whether any new channels are picked up after the digital switchover. It did the same thing that I'm experiencing now. Mythtv just sat there doing nothing rather than scanning for channels. I thought it was a Debian glitch after an update or something.

    Something seems to be holding on to the resource and blocking further use of that card (at least that's what the OS thinks). Is there some way that I can find out if the card really is in use as reported? Or I wonder if my tv card went bad on me...

    Thanks for all the help thus far. Any suggestions on how I could proceed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,110
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: No channels found with DVB card

    Quote Originally Posted by pontke
    I deleted the entry in YAST, as suggested. YAST, of course, immediately
    redetects it and it shows up again unconfigured. I reboot the computer
    and went into YAST to configure the TV card. When I get to the step of
    scanning channels (within YAST), it does something it never did before.
    It actually scans through about 83 channels before saying that 0
    channels were detected. Before it would instantly say 0 channels
    without actually scanning.

    When I drop out to the CLI and run the scan command, I still get the
    error where it says that the device or resource is busy. Just for
    giggles, I went into mythtv to see what it does. When I do a channel
    scan within mythtv, it just sits there on a blank screen rather than
    scanning.

    This brings up something interesting. I had this card working in
    Debian, but about a week before reformatting and choosing to install
    openSuse, I decided to rescan the channels to find out whether any new
    channels are picked up after the digital switchover. It did the same
    thing that I'm experiencing now. Mythtv just sat there doing nothing
    rather than scanning for channels. I thought it was a Debian glitch
    after an update or something.

    Something seems to be holding on to the resource and blocking further
    use of that card (at least that's what the OS thinks). Is there some
    way that I can find out if the card really is in use as reported? Or I
    wonder if my tv card went bad on me...

    Thanks for all the help thus far. Any suggestions on how I could
    proceed?
    Hi
    It seems like it's trying to work... How about deleting in YaST and
    then shut the PC down. Can you pull the card and place in another PCI
    slot, reboot the PC and go into the BIOS and in the section where you
    can enable the ESCD (basically reset irq's).

    Then reboot and try again, but just at the CLI, don't use YaST.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 1 day 5:10, 2 users, load average: 0.57, 0.24, 0.13
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •