Acroread and/or AdobeReader won't install in 64bit.

Although acroread is in repositories it won’t install without basically changing my whole system to i586. What am I missing? This used to work. In fact I have installed AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.rpm [From get.adobe.com] in 11.1 x86_64 [currently] and was able to install same in Milestone 3 x86_64. I did a fresh install of Milestone 4 and have since enabled Factory repos. Here is some info:

# zypper -v lr
Verbosity: 1
#  | Alias                               | Name                                | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+---------+--------
1  | Factory-KD4E-QT-4.5                 | Factory-KD4E-QT-4.5                 | Yes     | Yes
2  | Factory-KDE4-Community              | Factory-KDE4-Community              | Yes     | Yes
3  | Factory-KDE4-Desktop                | Factory-KDE4-Desktop                | Yes     | Yes
4  | Factory-KDE4-Playground             | Factory-KDE4-Playground             | No      | No
5  | Factory-Mozilla                     | Factory-Mozilla                     | Yes     | Yes
6  | Factory-NON-OSS                     | Factory-NON-OSS                     | Yes     | Yes
7  | Factory-OSS                         | Factory-OSS                         | Yes     | Yes
8  | Factory-OpenOffice                  | Factory-OpenOffice                  | No      | No
9  | Factory-OpenOffice-Extras           | Factory-OpenOffice-Extras           | No      | No
10 | Packman-11.1                        | Packman-11.1                        | Yes     | Yes
11 | download.videolan.org-SuSE          | VideoLan Repository                 | Yes     | Yes
12 | http-download.opensuse.org-e1b5f469 | http-download.opensuse.org-e1b5f469 | No      | No
13 | openSUSE 11.2-0                     | openSUSE 11.2-0                     | No      | No
14 | repo-debug                          | openSUSE-11.2-Debug                 | No      | No
15 | repo-non-oss                        | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss               | No      | No
16 | repo-oss                            | openSUSE-11.2-Oss                   | No      | No
17 | repo-source                         | openSUSE-11.2-Source                | No      | No

# zypper -v in acroread
Verbosity: 1
Non-option program arguments: 'acroread'
Initializing Target
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Factory-KD4E-QT-4.5
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Factory-KDE4-Community
Retrieving: repomd.xml [done]
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Factory-KDE4-Desktop
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Factory-Mozilla
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Factory-NON-OSS
Retrieving: content [done]
Retrieving: media [done]
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Factory-OSS
Retrieving: content [done]
Retrieving: media [done]
Checking whether to refresh metadata for Packman-11.1
Checking whether to refresh metadata for VideoLan Repository
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Force resolution: Yes
Resolving package dependencies...
Force resolution: Yes

Problem: acroread-8.1.5-1.4.i586 requires libglib-2.0.so.0, but this requirement cannot be provided
  uninstallable providers: libglib-2_0-0-2.21.1-1.6.i586[Factory-OSS]
                   libglib-2_0-0-32bit-2.21.1-1.6.x86_64[Factory-OSS]
 Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  install libpcre0-7.9.0-1.1.i586 despite the inferior architecture
  install grep-2.5.4-3.3.i586 despite the inferior architecture
 Solution 2: do not ask to install a solvable providing acroread
 Solution 3: ignore some dependencies of acroread

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/c] (c):

In above example if I keep selecting to install i586 packages eventually it will quite literally change my entire system to i586. Not the desired result. Also in openSUSE in the past we have been able to install i586 software without this dependency mess.

# rpm -Uvh AdbeRdr9.1.2-1_i486linux_enu.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libatk-1.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libglib-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgmodule-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgobject-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgthread-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libpango-1.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libpangox-1.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486
        libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 is needed by AdobeReader_enu-9.1.2-1.i486

Isn’t this because of something I forgot to install? I sure thought I selected ‘32bit runtime environment’ during install process so what did I miss?

P.S. I’m well aware of other software for pdf files. I have professional reasons for wanting Adobe Reader/Acrobat. I also have this installed on stable production systems openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 and Mandriva 2009.1 x86_64. Purpose here is to test some things I do professionally in 11.2 M4/Factory.

Hmm, took some reading to work out that you were trying to install in M4. I don’t know if the stock acroread is supposed to work as is in a testing release. Maybe you need a factory acroread to work on M4, after all M4 probably updated the dependencies so installing an older acroread would try to drag in old libraries. Or maybe you need to install some -32bit packages in M4.

acroread (which is i586 only) works fine for me in 11.1, it’s at 8.1.6 now, from the update repo.

As it is Factory repos that are enabled then it would be that the acroread package is indeed Factory. [http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/non-oss/suse/i586/acroread-8.1.5-1.4.i586.rpm] The basis of this question is this has worked in the past on many versions of openSUSE both stable and factory. For some reason now it isn’t. Also it has been possible to install Adobe’s .rpm package before [for instance on 11.1 x86_64 which I currently have] but now, as of M4, it isn’t working. Or I did something wrong… Or forgot to do something… :cry:

Also for some reason if I try installing 32bit packages zypper wants to change my entire system to 32bit. It isn’t supposed to work that way. We’re supposed to be able to install either 64bit or 32bit packages in openSUSE. I know 'cause I’ve done it many time before.

http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/non-oss/suse/i586/acroread-8.1.5-1.4.i586.rpm

Didn’t edit fast enough…

The reason for this problem is that selecting KDE4 Desktop and additionally 32-bit Runtime Environment the M4 DVD [build 180] installs 309 packages while the M3 DVD installs 1174 packages. I re-installed M3 enabled 11.2 repos and used ‘zypper -v dup’ to upgrade to M4 and the Adobe Reader packages then installed. Just like I’ve become accustomed to.

Question is why the M4 DVD only installs 309 packages? That isn’t the norm for openSUSE KDE4 + 32-bit Runtime Environment installs in my experience. 1174 packages is more like normal???