Thread: openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 4 + Nvidia drivers?

Default openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 4 + Nvidia drivers?

Anyone managed to install the nvidia drivers on milestoen 4 yet?

Getting
    Code:
    ERROR: The kernel header file '/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h' does not
           exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files
           in '/usr/src/linux' have not been configured.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
           '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
           on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
           driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
    linux-kernel-headers and kernel-syms are both installed and I did exactly what I did for milestone 3 to get the drivers working, no luck this time.

Default Re: openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 4 + Nvidia drivers?

Strange I had the same sort of error and message when recompiling latest VBox kernel module on M3 and kernel was at 2.6.30-10.1 and another user on 2.6.30-10.3 had clean compile of it. I tried reinstalling VBox - no change. It was obviously a buggy kernel-something. My kernel and kernel-syms were at the same level (must be! I think) but iirc -headers wasn't (no matter). No progress, waited for next update. On the latest M4, 2.6.30.2-1, no problem recompiling VBox module. So, wait for a fix is my guess.

Hmmm strange,

I managed to compile and install nvidia drivers today. I followed exactly these guide -> NVIDIA/The hard way - openSUSE

I did a fresh install for milestone 4 with the kde live cd.
    I installed both kernel-source and kernel-syms and when i tried to compile the nvidia driver i got an error, i don't remember what exactly(something about different version of gcc used for nvidia and the kernel?). So i went into the linux folder and did a "make mrproper", "make cloneconfig" and "make modules_prepare". After this it compiled ok 'till the end where i got an error about saying it cannon load the module "nvidia.ko" because...i don't remember . So i did a "sh NVIDIA-bla.run -k $(uname -r)", i was asked at the end if i want the installer to modify my xorg.conf, i said yes, i restarted the system and then the system booted up perfectly with the nvidia driver working.

I have no idea if it has anything to do with you problem, but i hope it helps!

I updated to Milestone 4 via the repositories without any problems. I recompiled my NVIDIA driver the same way that I did on milestone 3. sudo sh NVIDIA.....run -q then sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia I of course have the Linux Kernel headers and syms installed.

The driver works great and Compiz too

Cheers!

For Nvidia i have installed kernel-default-devel only... and the process work fine.

Yes, it has been simplified in 11.2 to install all development files by installing kernel-default/desktop-devel
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Is a "init 3" as root enough to kill xorg?

Yes, unless you have X server set to run also on the 3rd level which by default is not
    It actually isn't necessary to call init 3.
    It suffices when you login to first TTY by going there with Ctrl+Alt+F1, invoke /etc/init.d/xdm stop, install drivers and once again /etc/init.d/xdm start.
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Perhaps you can detail how you went about doing this, for those of us that are not so saavy?

I installed the kernel other users recommended but the Nvidia installer still gave errors of not being able to locate it.

Please advise, if possible. Thanks.