Thread: YaST+Packman=Very Slow

Default YaST+Packman=Very Slow

I have tried this twice, I am on the third try now. I am trying to unconditionally update everything in the Packman list, almost 10GB. Problem is that it is taking so long. After 12 hours I was only at 10%.

Everything else downloads fast. I check my d/l speed at a few different places. Granted it won't take a few minutes. It has to download and install but I get about 20-30Mbits download so it shouldn't be taking this long. With Packman I am averaging 10-11kB/s Reminds me of the old dial up days.

I am doing this because I read at this forum if one has issues with video playback that this may help. But I really don't want to be stuck doing this for several days but I am worried that if I just stop I might be missing packages or it may have messed up my system somehow.

Any ideas/thoughts?
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

Default Re: YaST+Packman=Very Slow

Ok I am going to try something. I am going to download all the 11.1/x86_64 packages manually from their url. Then add a local repository from my computer and do it that way. Unless anyone has something better?
    Once you install a modem, the government can look into your computer and watch everything you do! That's why every night before I go to bed, I turn the monitor to the wall.

suse amd64x2 adjusted his/her AFDB on Thursday 23 Jul 2009 22:16 to write:

>
    > Ok I am going to try something. I am going to download all the
    > 11.1/x86_64 packages manually from their url. Then add a local
    > repository from my computer and do it that way. Unless anyone has
    > something better?
    >
    >

You should not need "Everything" from packman only the apps you require,
    10gigs is way too much.

It should only be a few megs, vlc, mplayer, lixine, codecs and such.

HTh
    --
    Mark
    Caveat emptor
    Nullus in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

I thought it was too much as well. But it was the only post I could find that came close to explaining something that might work. It was late and with little sleep I just jumped in.

suse amd64x2 adjusted his/her AFDB on Friday 24 Jul 2009 01:46 to write:

>
    > I thought it was too much as well. But it was the only post I could find
    > that came close to explaining something that might work. It was late and
    > with little sleep I just jumped in.
    >
    >

No probs,

Was just saving you a horrendous d/load

:-)

--
    Mark
    Caveat emptor
    Nullus in verba
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Thanks. It did get my looking in other areas. I found out with the problem was. So freaken simple I am still kicking myself over it.

Now if I can only get this Jackd to work that would be great. Think I will make another post. I am not finding anything useful in my searches and after a few hours I am getting cranky, lol.