Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Best backup solution

  1. #1

    Default Best backup solution

    I'm looking at an efficient way to backup the critical directories and files of my system. I came across Back in Time in YAST which seems to use rsync. It looks like it will do the job well but I'm wondering if there is something better out there as there are a few features lacking.

    I don't really want a command-line solution and it must be able to be scheduled to run automatically at regular intervals.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,605

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    Making a good backup strategy is not that easy. Especialy not for us as we do not know any of your requirements like:
    . off line storage
    . how many version to keep
    . several levels (e.g. monthly full backup and daily incrementals)
    . databases that must be exported or backuped in a special way
    . you could name a few yourself.

    And that is only for a good strategy, not for the best

    Only when you know what strategy you want you can start searching for the software that does what you want.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    suse tpx60s wrote:

    > I'm looking at an efficient way to backup the critical directories and
    > files of my system. I came across Back in Time in YAST which seems to
    > use rsync. It looks like it will do the job well but I'm wondering if
    > there is something better out there as there are a few features lacking.
    >
    > I don't really want a command-line solution and it must be able to be
    > scheduled to run automatically at regular intervals.


    Take a look into this article:

    10 outstanding Linux backup utilities
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=895

    THT.

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Making a good backup strategy is not that easy. Especialy not for us as we do not know any of your requirements like:
    . off line storage
    . how many version to keep
    . several levels (e.g. monthly full backup and daily incrementals)
    . databases that must be exported or backuped in a special way
    . you could name a few yourself.

    And that is only for a good strategy, not for the best

    Only when you know what strategy you want you can start searching for the software that does what you want.
    Point taken. I was referring to backing up my laptop so I think Back in Time snapshots written to my server will be sufficient for the moment.

    For my XP desktop which also acts as the server I have a strategy using Acronis but I'll be looking to find something at least as good but preferably better when I migrate it to openSuSE.

    Out of interest is there any Linux equivalent to the backup and restore utilities that can be scheduled to write to hidden partitions often found on laptops, e.g. IBM / Lenovo's Rescue & Recovery?

    Cameleon, thanks for the link. Some interesting options there.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,605

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    I would use rsync (may be hidden in rsnapshot), but I read that you want to backup to a Windows system. Cannot advise on that, no Windows knowledge here.

    What is a 'hidden' partition?
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    19,887
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    Out of interest is there any Linux equivalent to the backup and restore utilities that can be scheduled to write to hidden partitions often found on laptops, e.g. IBM / Lenovo's Rescue & Recovery?
    I have a ThinkPad with a Windows Rescue partition. It might be hidden as far as windows is concerned, but it is just a vfat partition, easily mounted from linux. ('fdisk -l' lists it as Compaq diagnostics, type 12)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I would use rsync (may be hidden in rsnapshot), but I read that you want to backup to a Windows system. Cannot advise on that, no Windows knowledge here.

    What is a 'hidden' partition?
    Yes, you're right. Backing up to windows system probably isn't very clever. I'll just backup to a USB drive for the moment until the windows box is migrated.
    Hidden partition may only be a windows thing. It's a partition that is not visible from within windows and is where the factory restore and backups are kept. I guess I could mimic that in Linux using standard Linux tools.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I have a ThinkPad with a Windows Rescue partition. It might be hidden as far as windows is concerned, but it is just a vfat partition, easily mounted from linux. ('fdisk -l' lists it as Compaq diagnostics, type 12)
    Yes I guessed as much.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,605

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    I had of course heard of a restore partition. I had one myself on the system when I bought it with vista. There was nothing "hidden" with it. It was just partition 1 in the partition table.

    I removed together with partion 2 when I installed openSUSE
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Best backup solution

    Quote Originally Posted by Camalen View Post

    Take a look into this article:

    10 outstanding Linux backup utilities
    10 outstanding Linux backup utilities | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com

    THT.

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen
    hey thanks for that , interesting and glad this came up because I have been looking for something new myself . But anyone have any experiences in backing up critical/sensitive data with encryption techniques ? TFA listed Box Backup as the only one . Anyone here experience with this or another product that uses encryption?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •