Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: skype/gnome problem?

Default skype/gnome problem?

Ive searched and did not found my problem in the forums so here goes.

Ok, Im trying to get this fixed so my girlfriend doesn't kill me for switching to linux (she uses the computer for one real reason, to chat over skype to her family in australia.)

We use an asus laptop with a built in webcam, I believe it's logitech.

The webcam works. It works in Amsn in the test section.

Unfortunately with the skype test it does not work. I thought maybe that's just a glitch with the testing thing. So i tried a call with a friend in texas.

this was how the session went.

I can NOT see my own video
    I can NOT see her video (just a white blank square where her video should be)
    I CAN hear her
    She CAN hear me

I CAN show her my desktop using the share desktop function
    she can NOT show me her desktop, it just gives me a square where her desktop is supposed to be but instead it just shows whatever was on my desktop behind where the square appeared.

Im using opensuse 11.2 gnome desktop

I checked out the skype how to, and all the packages are installed except libqt4-dbus-1 but that's because it doesnt seem to exist in the software repositories that i have.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with the opensuse firewall, which I have not tried to configure yet and am not sure how.

someone help please?

Default Re: skype/gnome problem?

Qt4 is a KDE thing.If you do a search with the "RPM provides box checked you will find it in libQT4 Package.

Have no idea how well that will play in gnome.

I don't see an option to check in the software manager. is there somewhere else i should be looking?

Skype works fine in SUSE Gnome, at least for me. You probably could not have installed it without the QT libraries, so let's ignore that for now. I am a bit puzzled as to why you might not be getting video back from the other side. Are you sure they were sending you video?

As for your video, in Skype -> Options -> Video Devices is your camera listed in the drop-down box (under "select webcam")? Does the camera work in the application Cheese?

Yu should be on the search tab. There are a list of option below the search text input box. one should be "RPM provides"

This will search for RPM's that provide the search term.

Or you can take my word for it that libqt4-dbus-1 is in the libQT4. search for that and see if installed. If it is you should have libqt4-dbus-1 unless you deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Qt4 is a KDE thing.If you do a search with the "RPM provides box checked you will find it in libQT4 Package.

Have no idea how well that will play in gnome.
    it works great in gnome on my machine, and all other distro's I've used it on. fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMT View Post
    Skype works fine in SUSE Gnome, at least for me. You probably could not have installed it without the QT libraries, so let's ignore that for now. I am a bit puzzled as to why you might not be getting video back from the other side. Are you sure they were sending you video?

As for your video, in Skype -> Options -> Video Devices is your camera listed in the drop-down box (under "select webcam")? Does the camera work in the application Cheese?

well i can't be 100 percent they were sending, but they said they were.

They can see me so my webcam must be working, but i couldnt see myself and it won't work when i click test in the video settings for skype.

this makes me think that there is somthing wrong with my computers ability to display the type of video that skype uses.

it also would not display their desktop properly.

so whatever skype uses to display things is not playing nice with my desktop i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yu should be on the search tab. There are a list of option below the search text input box. one should be "RPM provides"

This will search for RPM's that provide the search term.

Or you can take my word for it that libqt4-dbus-1 is in the libQT4. search for that and see if installed. If it is you should have libqt4-dbus-1 unless you deleted it.
    what are you using to search, both the install software application and the add/remove software application that defaults with gnome do not have that option.

maybe i should just try static skype?

OK. I missed the part where you said that they could see your video. So Skype and the camera are talking to each other, they are just neglecting to tell you.

Any chance you are running Compiz? If yes, turn it off and see if it helps? If not, then it probably is a QT4 thing. I find that Skype works best with QT4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMT View Post
    OK. I missed the part where you said that they could see your video. So Skype and the camera are talking to each other, they are just neglecting to tell you.

Any chance you are running Compiz? If yes, turn it off and see if it helps? If not, then it probably is a QT4 thing. I find that Skype works best with QT4.5.
    Ok so i used the little compiz square to turn switch to metacity windows manager then I logged out and logged back in.

It said i was using metacity as a windows manager but I still had special effects, anyway, skype still had the same problem

when i click the test button the webcam light comes on but no image shows up.

how would I install qt4.5?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast