Firefox 3.5.1 / SuSE 10.3 issues

The new Firefox occasionally causes my system to go to a black screen, and then returns me to the system login page. Weird.

I installed it via YaST and have tried removing my .mozilla folder and disabling extensions (only have Web Developer and Adblock at present), but the problem still persists.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?

I posted a thread about it here: Firefox 3.5.0-7.1 crashes on SUSE 10.3

But they referred me in this direction. Assistance appreciated!

Anyone?

I can’t get Google Chrome working either (pipe error), so at the moment I’m without a functioning browser other than Opera, which is a bit too clunky.

Thanks in advance.

No issue here.
If you feel it’s FF. Why not remove the Mozilla Build Service repo and roll back all mozilla .rpms in Software Management - Is it OK now.

Funnily enough, installing KDE 4.2 and using that seems to have solved my problem.

But it WAS definitely an issue with 3.x

Ok, it still happens in KDE 4.2 - could it be Flash or Javascript related? I can’t believe I’m the only one having this problem.

Next step to try a new .mozilla folder, rename the old one .mozilla_old

Add nothing except bookmarks and try it long enough to know.

I’ve tried that a few times, and it doesn’t make any difference. Did a completely clean install a few days ago.

Compiz, desktop effects? Disabled?
Removed beagle?

What version of Flash are you using on 10.3?

Firefox reports… 9.0 r159

As I expected. Have you checked to see if the the bleeding edge FF 3.5.1 claims compatability with the old Flash 9.

There is a lot of distance between them, such as three releases of openSUSE, several Xorg releases and most of them tested with Flash 10. Not to mention that FF 3.5.1 isn’t included in 11.0, 11.1 and due soon in 11.2, that quite a big gap overall. I think you are expecting a lot. :slight_smile:

I have similar issues with OS 10.3 (32 bit) with FF 3.5.1. Shockwave Flash version 10.0 r22, KDE 3.5.10 release 54. In addition there is exactly similar behavior with modded SLED 10 SP2 (32 bit) where FF 3.5.1 uses separate gtk libraries. Same versions of Flash and KDE. On SLED I have also Gnome environment and X crashes there too. I have found only one site that causes this phenomena so it would be possible to narrow down what the root problem is. For time being I just wait the problem to go away with new versions of FF.

So are you suggesting upgrading to 11.1?

Or that Firefox 3.5 isn’t stable enough to use yet? It should be, shouldn’t it? Official release and all that.

I’ve upgraded Flash now anyway (to 10.x), I’ll see if that fixes it.

Further update: it’s still happening. One site that seems to trigger it is Google’s personal homepage - specifically the slow-loading ‘Chat’ panel on the left hand side, when you’re logged into your Google Accout.

Using the usual Google search screen instead is safe.

Hmm…

The overall answer to your question: It depends on your experience. How new to linux? How new to openSUSE? If you are new to either, you should install the default current version (11.1) and only apply updates released for it by openSUSE while gaining experience. Use the supported apps from the repos until you are comfortable with package dependencies, and how the repos work. After that you can experiment. You will find more people here using 11.1, some still using 11.0, and a few using 10.3, and more likely to get more help with 11.1, even in implementing very new apps.

Having said that I don’t know your circumstances. If you have been using 10.3 for a while, you could continue but support for it ends fairly soon. I still have it around, but not once I have moved everything to 11.1 which I use daily. The decision is yours, so do some searching of the forum before you decide, and try to check out the hardware. You could give more information of your H/W and typical application usage in a new post, and ask if any problems for installing 11.1. I’m sure you will get some replies. :wink:

I found 11.1 generally performs better than 10.3, particularly package management is lightening fast on 11.1. I use it with KDE 3.5.10 and its very good, but I stick with the distributed version of FF 3.0 for the security updates from openSUSE, and it works well.

I only have one problem that may be relevant, but NOT to all users. The performance of 10.3 with Flash 9 + FF 2.0 on internet streamed video was very good, but on 11.1 Flash 10 +FF 3.0 its bad (unstable & choppy) on my system and H/W. That may not be the case for you on your H/W. I’m sure it’s not a FF problem. :slight_smile:

I have this EXACT problem. I’m using 10.3 and the problem started when firefox updated a few days ago. When I visit certain webpages i get logged out. It is frustrating. I uninstalled firefox and reinstalled with no change. help? :’(

I recall this choppy behaviour too. Thankfully that’s in the past now.

going back to the previous version of firefox (3.0.12-0.1) and uninstalling MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream (whatever the f* that is) solves the problem. Now firefox does not log me out and everything is back to normal

Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ve been using SuSE for about three years now, maybe four. Used 9.x, 10.1 and 10.3 - the latter of which has been fine for me until this issue.

Typical uses include: Web server (LAMP), DTP, Email, Web browsing… nothing too out of the ordinary or intensive, really.

I’m tempted to upgrade to 11.1 but I’d want to do a fresh install rather than bolt it on top, and I’d be loathe to lose (or spend a lot of time reconfiguring) the various sites and databases I’ve got stored on this machine.