Open SUSE 11.1 LiveCD ISO 686 32bit what username/passwo

Open SUSE 11.1 LiveCD ISO 686 32bit

The SUSE like above what username/password has?
I try Live running it but ask me for those?
I think my version is 11.1, for differ versions there are other username/password?

What when you just do RETURN and RETURN (I mean the key, not the text).

nothing happens as I remember, …

lse123 wrote:

> Open SUSE 11.1 LiveCD ISO 686 32bit
>
> The SUSE like above what username/password has?

I think there is no “root” password.

> I try Live running it but ask me for those?
> I think my version is 11.1, for differ versions there are other
> username/password?

When are you prompted for password input? What app are you trying to run?

Greetings,

Camaleón

Try *root *as user and the empty string as password. *root *must be there and I never heard there should be a password going with the live-CD. It always simply works.

now appears the line below ? what insert ?

linux:~ #

Type:

startx

Hope, it will bring the desktop.

Hmm … Do you get that when booting ? Looks to me like you logged on as user root ? Is there a user ‘linux’ ?

If “startx” does not work, you may need to do a quick and dirty configuration of your graphic card.

If you type:
sax2 -p
and that shows your graphic card chip-0, then type
sax2 -m 0=vesa(that is ‘zero’ equals vesa) and then to get rid of root permissions try
exit
followed by (as a regular user):
startx
The vesa driver will be slow, but it works quite often.

A quick questioin between. oldcpu you say that there should be a user linux in the live CD. Is that documented, a well known fact, or in other words: how could the OP have known this?

I didn’t (never used a live CD), but guessed from the fact that a live CD must work without much docs about what users, etc. should have a root user without any password to be of use. But I never thought about a user linux (lack of fantasy?).

> Open SUSE 11.1 LiveCD ISO 686 32bit
> The SUSE like above what username/password has?

see my previous post on the reasons you may need a username/password
with openSUSE 11.1: http://tinyurl.com/n8j5a4

brassy

I said what?

I thought I asked the question ?

I vaguely remember on openSUSE Linux live CDs there were two accounts - one for root and one for user linux (password linux) but that was on an old openSUSE live CD (maybe 10.2 or so ?? ) , but I normally do not use live CDs. Still I thought I would try and help on this thread, I was not sure so I asked the question, and now when I ask a question, I am told I am instead saying something.

< sigh >

Sometimes one just can’t win.

Anyway, … I surfed briefly but did not find much … I did note this
Bugs:Most Annoying Bugs 11.1 dev - openSUSE

But ok, I get the hint. … I’ve made too many posts and can no longer ask questions, especially if trying to help.

Time to leave the thread.

I note this for the educational live CD (which is a different live CD):
openSUSE News » openSUSE-Education: Live-CD, CD-Cover and 1.0 Beta2 for openSUSE 11.1

Username: linux
Password: linux

Same password for root.

I am sorry when I id ask annoying questions without going out for a walk with deep thinking first. I think I got the picture now.

When the live CD does function correct it boots AND auto-logins into the GUI (I did not think about the auto-login because I never would do such a thing). It uses some username for this without a password, but because of the auto-login nobody bothers.

Now in lse123’s case the graphics do not seem to work, so the console shows up. No auto-login and there he sits. As a newbee he does not know what users exist on his system.

I do not know either, except that I know root is there. I guess that no password is needed and behold it works.

Now lse123 needs help to get it’s graphics going. This help is coming from others on this thread, but oldcpu asks lse123 why he does login as root and if there is not another username, maybe linux.

Then I start jumping to conclusions. I think the suggestion to see if there is a linux means that there normally is one. I do apologize for this.

Actually, its me who should apologize. I’m just being grumpy. I need to go get some sleep. My apologies !

You did point that we need to find out the answer … and I probably need to boot a live CD and check out the answer (to the password question).

I note I am pondering creating a wiki that would list the openSUSE live CDs: openSUSE live CD wiki needed ? - openSUSE Forums
and putting password information there (if I do create such a wiki) would be a logical place.

Never mind and sleep well, tomorrow is the weekend!

I read you other post about the live CD wiki and think it is a good idea. I am afraid I can not contribute much for the same reason that I can not suggest more sthings to lse123, I have no live CD here.

@lse123
Did you already try the suggestions about startx and sax2? We are eager for theresults.