Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I uninstall suse 11

Default Can I uninstall suse 11

I want to uninstall suse, as it is not loading properly. I loaded it from windows and was stil able to use windows, which was great.Nex day after doing a repair from the install menu, I was then unable to access windows. After some time on this forum I found that the file menu.lst had changed to menu.lst.old. This was great, I renamed the new menu.lst to menu.lst.new and put back the original menu.lst and once again I could access windows.
    Trying to under stand the command that was in the menu file to load windows I thought I would have a look at it in the file editor Gedit. When i tried to view these files it refused me access, but must have changed something as now I can not even get in to suse GUI at all let alone windows. I can only get in to a terminal or shell. Further investigation shows that both files in /boot/grub have the same time and date on them and none of them are from the original install time and date.I have retried the repair tool several tines to no avail, so please tell me is it possible to uninstall suse and maybe start again.

or

Is there a way I can edit menu.lst from the terminal shell and then get back the GUI

Please help

Smile Re: Can I uninstall suse 11

No need to reinstall SuSE so far.
    Read the manual GNU GRUB Manual 0.97
    Whatever GRUB would have to do following menu.lst, you can do intelligently and interactively.

Default Re: Can I uninstall suse 11

Easies way is to go to yast>system>boot loader and choose Propose New configuration.
    It should find both installations - windows and linux.

this would seem to be the way forward, but as i said at the moment i can not get the GUI to work, only the terminalor shell

Do you, by any chance, have access to a Linux Live CD? If you can boot one and get onto the internet, that would make this considerably easier, because we can then examine menu.lst and the arrangement of partitions on the PC, and fix the boot menu.

All is not lost if you haven't... It just makes things easier.

Although, what happens if you log in to the terminal using your normal username, then type 'startx'?

Or if that doesn't work...

Code:
    su -
    sax2 -r -m 0=vesa
    exit
    [you maybe have to log in again as normal user here]
    startx
    ?

I have a linux opensuse 11 installation dvd. not sure if this will boot live. As for running startx fron the terminal. I thought it was going to work then i got a window in the top left hand corner stating "could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation"

Afraid I don't know how you can fix that.

Load suse, log in as root, then type 'fdisk -l' and write down what appears. Don't worry about the numbers - we only need the indentifiers (like sda1) and the filesystem types (ntfs, ext3, whatever...)

Then type 'cat /boot/grub/menu.lst | more' and copy down the section related to Windows - it's only a few lines long, and it should be pretty obvious which bit it is.

Hopefully with this information we can get Windows to load, then you can worry about dealing with suse...

Also, did you do a md5sum and media check before you installed? If you didn't, do them now...

/dev/sda1 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 W95 Ext’d (LMA)
    /dev/sda5 Linux swap / solaris
    /dev/sda6 Linux swap / solaris
    /dev/sda7 Linux
    /dev/sda8 Linux

Here are the results of fdisk -l

There was no windows related section when running cat /boot/grub/menu.lst . Only OPENsuse 11.0 and Failsafe – OPENsuse I guess this is because the option for windows dose not appear in the boot menu. During a repaiar I am asked to manually repair the boot file and could enter the correct details if I knew them and where to browse for them.

As for the md5sum and media check, I havn’t a clue what they are but I did install instlux in windows then install OPENsuse and finally uninstall instlux from window.

If you load suse, log in as root, then issue the following commands;

Code:
    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.bak
    nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Then add the following lines to the end, without changing anything else;

Code:
    title Windows
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
    Save, exit, then at the prompt;

Code:
    /sbin/shutdown -r now
    to reboot, hopefully you'll be able to get into Windows. Have a read of this sticky, or google for md5sum. If your md5sum is wrong, or you got a bad burn, it could explain things.

NEWBIES - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast