Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to free up some space

Default Help to free up some space

hi all.. I am running out of space in my root drive..only 138 MB left now... I have cleaned the temp files and removed some applications but no use... I was having kde 3.5 and upgraded gradually to kde 4.2.4 .. on each upgrade, I lost space ... I have both .kde and .kde4 folders in my home directory.. I have seen kde3 folders in some other places also. Can I delete these folders to free up space?

Default Re: Help to free up some space

If you mean that you have /home within your root directory, you can create plenty of space by adding a separate /home partition.

Hi
    I usually use bleachbit to clean unnecessary files,
    you can install it from the packman repo.

Or you can find it here,
    software.opensuse.org/search?

HTH
    "And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise."
    Luke 6:31 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    If you mean that you have /home within your root directory, you can create plenty of space by adding a separate /home partition.
    earlier my home directory was in root... then I copied all files in /home to another ext3 drive and mounted it as /home. Now, I want to delete contents from my old /home directory ... how would I do this??

Quote Originally Posted by sarin_cv View Post
    earlier my home directory was in root... then I copied all files in /home to another ext3 drive and mounted it as /home. Now, I want to delete contents from my old /home directory ... how would I do this??
    Hi. Do you mean that you have two /home directories right now??? That does not sound right...
    Moving /home ist quite simple. You'll find some hints here: How to move your home directory safely in SLED/SLES | Novell User Communities or here: Howto Move /home To A New Partitian On An Existing System - openSUSE Forums, for example. Good luck!

I haven't really moved home directory. I just copied the contents to a new partition and mounted it as root. The old home directory exists somewhere but I am not able to view it since its not mounted.

I haven't really moved home directory. I just copied the contents to a new partition and mounted it as root. The old home directory exists somewhere but I am not able to view it since its not mounted.
    Excuse me, I'm a little confused...
    Are you sure its still there? If your old home directory was located on root, then it should be mounted with root b/c it is a part of root. If you don't see it, then either the folder's been hidden, or you did a mv instead of a copy. If that's the case, then there's nothing to move.
    My personal philosophy:
    The only way you won't find something is if you stop looking.

it should be there because I haven't deleted or moved the default home directory. My opensuse is in sda10. I copied the contents of home directory using rsync(or dd.. don't remember exactly) to sda10 and in /etc/fstab, I changed a line to mount sda10 as home.

it should be there because I haven't deleted or moved the default home directory. My opensuse is in sda10. I copied the contents of home directory using rsync(or dd.. don't remember exactly) to sda10 and in /etc/fstab, I changed a line to mount sda10 as home.
    But if you changed the mounting of /home in fstab, then you did move pointer of the home directory from the folder it was before (in this case, under root) to a new location. As far as I know (and I could be wrong), there can only be 1 /home, otherwise you would have two directories with the same name.

Try this: in fstab, mount your new home directory to something like "/home1" and reboot. Did you're old directory show up?
    My personal philosophy:
    The only way you won't find something is if you stop looking.

k... will try... what I was saying is that, I have only changed a pointer to point to some other location rite? so the contents of old home directory will be somewhere in root(may be hidden under some other name)as garbage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast