Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32/64 bit?

Default 32/64 bit?

Hi,

I read this on Wikipedia:
    The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that relative to 32-bit architectures the same data occupies more space in memory (due to swollen pointers and possibly other types and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization.

Is it true?? Based on the reply I'll decide between OpenSUSE 32 or 64 bit.

Regards
    Mukul

Default Re: 32/64 bit?

The difference in memory requirements is insignificant, and won't adversely affect the operation of your PC at all (unless you're trying to run you computer with 512MB of RAM). There are many more factors you should be considering in choosing between 32-bit and 64-bit.

That said, everything I use is 64-bit and I haven't had any troubles with it at all. While, as the Wikipedia article may say, memory allocation is "less efficient", general processing is certainly much more efficient (twice as much data getting processed at once), and the fact that it can address substantially more memory, the slightly less efficient allocation is a moot point.
    My personal philosophy:
    The only way you won't find something is if you stop looking.

Quote Originally Posted by srschifano View Post
    The difference in memory requirements is insignificant, and won't adversely affect the operation of your PC at all (unless you're trying to run you computer with 512MB of RAM). There are many more factors you should be considering in choosing between 32-bit and 64-bit.

That said, everything I use is 64-bit and I haven't had any troubles with it at all. While, as the Wikipedia article may say, memory allocation is "less efficient", general processing is certainly much more efficient (twice as much data getting processed at once), and the fact that it can address substantially more memory, the slightly less efficient allocation is a moot point.
    Can you list the main points to consider:
    1. will be using it as a usual Home user on a Laptop having 2GB DDR2 RAM and Core2Duo T5900 2.2GHz.
    2. Wi-Fi (Atheros chipset)

Regards
    Mukul

Why are you running some tiny amount of ram, I'm struggling to take over 1gb then I have a light weight DE. I purposefully tried and gave up when the chip cried enough, I clearly don't know how to effectively fill my ram. One day if I ever see it go over 1gb I may actually try to suspend into my 1gb swap just to see what happens.

As for insignificant I did find this discussion and it is kind of known that 64bit will use more. View topic - 32bit vs 64bit memory usage :: For Linux & Unix Server Administrators and Developers :: BlueQuartz.US
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    Why are you running some tiny amount of ram, I'm struggling to take over 1gb then I have a light weight DE. I purposefully tried and gave up when the chip cried enough, I clearly don't know how to effectively fill my ram. One day if I ever see it go over 1gb I may actually try to suspend into my 1gb swap just to see what happens.
    I am sorry but I couldn't understand this. Can you elaborate it.

Thanks
    Mukul

One day I may actually use 2gb of ram at the moment in day to day use I average 300mb. Which presuming the discussion is correct would be significantly less if I ran 32 bit.

Then in trying to find out what happened when I swapped I opened 4 vmware machines, all machines had ff running plus other bits then 2 images open a ff open, a couple more apps open by about then I still hadn't got over 1gb of usage, but the response from the dual core chip was unbearable. I just wanted to get my machine to use over 1gb ram to test what happened when I hibernated.

So unless you intend to use some ram hungry app(Please do enlighten me) then I find the reason for not using a non-reason. ymmv but though there does seem to be significant extra bits used with 64bit google will show this, I've found in day to day usage even with my miserly 2gb I have plenty.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    One day I may actually use 2gb of ram at the moment in day to day use I average 300mb. Which presuming the discussion is correct would be significantly less if I ran 32 bit.

Then in trying to find out what happened when I swapped I opened 4 vmware machines, all machines had ff running plus other bits then 2 images open a ff open, a couple more apps open by about then I still hadn't got over 1gb of usage, but the response from the dual core chip was unbearable. I just wanted to get my machine to use over 1gb ram to test what happened when I hibernated.

So unless you intend to use some ram hungry app(Please do enlighten me) then I find the reason for not using a non-reason. ymmv but though there does seem to be significant extra bits used with 64bit google will show this, I've found in day to day usage even with my miserly 2gb I have plenty.
    cool, it makes sense to me now. I don't use any RAM hungry programs.
    So in nutshell, whats your say: 32 or 64?

Personally I don't benefit from running 64bit, but I do run 64bit and have had no issues I find it very transparent. More so now that java and flash have finally caught up.

Very occasionally if you go out of the box, you can get the occasional issue, but I've not encountered one for years that isn't to say you won't.(My last one was several years ago with a custom compile java app)

Then Suse has one of the most transparent 64bit installs and very often a troublesome app can be installed as a 32bit with no more fiddling than changing a radio button.

I always think this question is up the asker to answer.

I am running Suse 64bit now. I am not seeing any issue with anything especially the memory. Here is a little bit from my computer info. Notice the memory usage.

I haven't rebooted my system in a couple of days.

CPU Information
    Processor (CPU): AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
    Speed: 2,100.00 MHz
    Cores: 2
    Temperature: 40C
    Memory Information
    Total memory (RAM): 3.9 GB
    Free memory: 54.4 MB (+ 3.3 GB Caches)
    Free swap: 5.0 GB

[QUOTE]

I decided to reboot my computer.

Memory is now showing this. The free memory part is a bit misleading considering how Linux in general handles memory.

Memory Information
    Total memory (RAM): 3.9 GB
    Free memory: 3.2 GB (+ 411.4 MB Caches)
    Free swap: 5.0 GB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast