Thread: find package name for missing binary

Default find package name for missing binary

I'm trying to build xnee and ./configure is complaining that it's missing epstopdf. How can I find the package name to install for this missing binary?

I would prefer a command line utility rather than a GUI tool or menu-driven tool. However, if a GUI or menu driven tool is all that OpenSUSE has to offer, I suppose it would suffice.

I installed (with yum) and attempted to use apt-file but it couldn't find /etc/apt/sources.list. Then, after yum installing apt (to get sources.list), I somehow ended up with a 32-bit version of librpmbuild-4.4.so which broke yum and yast. Luckily, rpm still worked along with wget, so I was able to manually locate and fetch rpm-4.4.2-140.x86_64.rpm, extract its contents, and manually copy librpm* to /usr/lib64 to get yum and yast functionality working again.

OpenSUSE 10.3 (x64)

P.S. Please don't tell me to upgrade to a newer version of OpenSUSE. It's not an option.

Blog Entries

Default Re: find package name for missing binary

I found xnee package for 10.3 via webpin search:

xnee package search

CTAN: directory: /tex-archive/support/epstopdf

also why are you messing around with Apt under suse? Stop trying to *******ize SUSE and use its native utilities which work much better and will give you less headaches... use zypper instead of yum/apt/etc

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I found xnee package for 10.3 via webpin search:

xnee package search
    Thanks, deano. However, due to the nature of this system, I'm skeptical to install software outside of the standard repos. In fact, I'm pretty skeptical to install any package; even those in the repos, but this tool was requested by one of my engineers.

you can trust those, they are usually signed

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    Yep, saw that. Google is my friend as well. After finding out that it's simply a script, I downloaded it to /usr/bin and chmod 755 it. That got me further into my build process.

also why are you messing around with Apt under suse?
    1. It's there, available, and should be ready to use if it's in the main repo, correct? Or does openSUSE release software with little testing and major bugs in their releases? Please elaborate on this.

2. It's a means to an end. apt-find does exactly what I was looking for, but it appears to be severely broken in openSUSE 10.3.

3. I wasn't going to use it to install packages. I merely needed it for apt-file to find which (uninstalled) package contains the binary I'm missing so that I can continue building xnee.

Stop trying to *******ize SUSE
    Is installing packages provided in the main repos *******izing it? If it is, then why is it included with a major release? Shouldn't it be in beta until it's stable enough to be in a major release?

I think my downloading epstopdf to /usr/local was more of a *******ization than installing a package available in the main repo. I'd also say that installing packages outside of the main repo would be *******izing the system. Due to the nature of this cluster of servers, the last thing I want to do is *******ize the master node.

use its native utilities which work much better and will give you less headaches... use zypper instead of yum/apt/etc
    Good info and nice tool. I reviewed zypper's search options within its man page. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, this gem doesn't appear to have the functionality to perform the query that I need. It has the ability to search for packages by name, but doesn't have the ability to list the name of the package that contains a missing binary.

Quote Originally Posted by kteague View Post

1. It's there, available, and should be ready to use if it's in the main repo, correct? Or does openSUSE release software with little testing and major bugs in their releases? Please elaborate on this.
    Yes it's there but is not really recommended to be used as default tool. There's a lot of problems with it and often it can mess things up beyond repair. I'm not sure as to why it's there though so I won't speculate on it

2. It's a means to an end. apt-find does exactly what I was looking for, but it appears to be severely broken in openSUSE 10.3.
    That's pretty possible. I have no idea how often they update it or how it's maintained

Is installing packages provided in the main repos *******izing it? If it is, then why is it included with a major release? Shouldn't it be in beta until it's stable enough to be in a major release?
    No, *******izing is when you replace the native tool of the distro PM with one that's used by other distros and also is highly experimental/not recommended to be used by SUSE. Just because there are a lot of packages in OBS, doesn't mean they're all stable enough and you should install all of them. Often the OBS repos also provide very experimental packages intended only for testing and developers, not for replacing the native tools (in this case zypper) of the distro

I think my downloading epstopdf to /usr/local was more of a *******ization than installing a package available in the main repo. I'd also say that installing packages outside of the main repo would be *******izing the system. Due to the nature of this cluster of servers, the last thing I want to do is *******ize the master node.
    Wrong that's not what *******ization is, see above. I also install stuff that may be missing in /usr/local but I do not replace core components of the system itself (such as package management front-ends) by other tools

Good info and nice tool. I reviewed zypper's search options within its man page. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can tell, this gem doesn't appear to have the functionality to perform the query that I need. It has the ability to search for packages by name, but doesn't have the ability to list the name of the package that contains a missing binary.
    IIRC this will be added in next version of it. I may need to have go dig for this though, so I'm not sure

brassy NNTP User

i'm still on 10.3 and just wanna mention to you that there is a great
    deal of difference between zypper on 10.3 and 11.1 (which most folks
    in this forum uses)...so, stick to YOUR man page for directions on the
    magic...i've considered stuffing a newer version of zypper on my 10.3
    but _here_ yast works fine for me..(but, of course the file you seek
    is not there)

--
    brassy