Enabling DHT in ktorrent

Hello does anyone know how to enable DHT in ktorrent 3.2.2 I’ve looked everywhere and cant find it…I’ve right clicked on the torrent>additional peer sources and DHT is checked but at the bottom of the gui it says it’s off so idk

Have you made sure you’re using the Packman repo version?

In addition to what deano said, you really should consider NOT using DHT. It’s packed with lurkers (hello, MPAA/RIAA/MediaSentry, I’m looking at you :wink: ) and it’s not that beneficial anyways. You’ll only get a few extra peers if it’s enabled

No I wasn’t using the packman version…and as I don’t really know much about DHT I did some googling and found that “enabling DHT” to be mixed reviews some claim that it makes the downloads go super fast while other agree with microchip8…but thanks for the info and I’ll just download the packman version and find out for myself

If you’re using KDE4, and specifically the 4.3 RC2…I have a DHT-enabled Ktorrent build present in my home directory at:- http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/anshuljain/

There are builds for 11.0 and 11.1. Let me know if you face any problems, or need a KDE 4.2.4 build instead.

-Anshul

DHT is a distributed system that looks around for hashes in its ‘space’ and attracts peers that download/upload the same content as you do so they can connect to your client. There’s no real way that DHT itself can speed up your downloads as DHT itself does not offer the actual content. It, however, can attract peers that may have a fast connection but this is not guaranteed, thus one will be fooled in thinking that DHT is responsible for the fast download while actually the peers itself are responsible. Even without DHT, the chance is very much there that the same fast connection peers will connect to you. If you weigh the pros and cons of DHT these days, there are more cons than pros. A lot of MAFIAA lurking goes on in DHT space (hello, MediaSentry :wink: ), a lot of spammers fly around too and of course the government is always there snooping around for whatever reasons. I recommend disabling DHT completely and enabling IP block filters like those from bluetack.co.uk :wink:

how do you folks learn about using bittorrent/ktorrent
I’m using ktorrent on 11.1 and don’t have a manual for it and there is no man page
The ktorrent website doesn’t appear to have any docs
is there documentation I can install?

Dave

it’s not really hard. You basically go to a torrent site, download the small torrent file of the content you want to get and open that small file in a torrent client and it downloads for you. It’s not rocket science you know :wink:

ktorrent has a wiki though - http://ktorrent.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

What’s to know, it’s bittorrent.
DHT! Take the warnings already posted seriously. DHT is a bad idea.
A Quick Bittorrent Guide (with screenshots) - openSUSE Forums

thanks for the link, it’ll tell me what I want
I know how to download stuff with ktorrent, trivial
I want to seed some stuff
I’m downloading some educational stuff for blender
It’s CC licensed, it’s legit
I want to seed it when I’m done
I foolishly started downloading it on my regular desktop machine
it’s gonna take 5 days, I gotta leave the machine on
I have a server box I leave on 24/7, I shoulda downloaded it there
after I complete the download I’d like to move it to that machine and setup the seed
I’ll go read the link you posted

Thanks
Dave

that can be also done (moving around torrents to other machines and reseeding from there) but I don’t remember how. You can ask in ktorrent’s forum.

All I ever do is get the original torrent file and start it in the new client, then stop it, then copy the file/s from wherever to the location where the new client is saving the partial file/s. (N.B.: all the file/s must be the same as the original torrent you just started). It will overwrite the partial file/s with complete ones. Now get the new client to do a re-check. Done.

All I ever do is get the original torrent file and start it in the new client, then stop it, then copy the file/s from wherever to the location where the new client is saving the partial file/s. (N.B.: all the file/s must be the same as the original torrent you just started). It will overwrite the partial file/s with complete ones. Now get the new client to do a re-check. Done.

aha! the easy way :wink:
I tried to do it manually and it asked for the tracker URL
after reading a little about the protocol it looks like that can be gleaned from looking at the torrent file but your way is easier

by the way, I vacationed in the Lake District a few years ago
beautiful country

Dave

by the way, I vacationed in the Lake District a few years ago
beautiful country

Loads of beautiful places in the world even in NC. It’s ages since I was there 1985!

One question: What may RIAA, government, and dirty people do using DHT that they’re not able to do using the available info on trackers?

Well, the question remains: how to enable DHT in Ktorrent?

Disabling it because of some stupid laws and denying your users to enable it on their own risk?

Is it freedom that is the whole point of FOSS for chrissakes?..

Use ktorrent from Packman

Affirmative, KTorrent from Packam repo works fine.

Trackers are not a reliable source of information. Some trackers, like opentracker (the most widely used tracker software atm), even purposefully insert random IPs into the swarm for plausible deniability. Some tracker operators even employ blocklists (sometimes custom made ones) to block questionable IP ranges. Usually, tracker operators don’t want to play cops for the MAFIAA so they’ll take measures in trying to make their trackers more unreliable when it comes to IP harvesting. Since bittorrent is slowly moving to trackerless decentralized nature (DHT, PEX), it’s only natural that the MAFIAA will investigate it and then try to find ways if it’s possible to use it against file sharing.

Even IPs are not a proof that you committed a violation since it’s not that hard for a person to break his neighbor’s weak wireless encryption (if he’s even turned it on, some don’t do that at all) and then use that connection to download such content and then the neighbor gets accused of downloading such copyrighted content without permission, even though he may never had done that at all, but instead someone else did it by breaking into his wifi and using his connection without the owner of the wifi knowing… And of course, you can’t prove at the time a violation is noticed, who sat behind that computer and did the violation… for example, I can invite a close friend of mine for a few days at my place and while i’m gone (work, shopping, etc) and he’s at my home, he can use my connection to download stuff illegally without me knowing