Suggested video converter for linux

Hi,
I’m looking for a video converter for opensuse (kde) to convert my camera’s mpeg files into .avi with xvid video and mp3 sound compression. I think there are GUI and command line alternatives for linux. Do you have any name suggestion? Thanks.

avidemux does a nice job qt and gtk versions from packman

if you’re looking for an easy cli app, then xvidenc and divxenc will do what you want. You can get them from my repo, see signature below

i’m using avidemux… ui versions of mencoder is also available… I think you can search mencoder in yast…

For batch conversion of .mts files from my Canon HF S10, I use the method noted in this thread: process multiple files from one command line?? - openSUSE Forums

But having typed that, one could also use winff. There are various URLs explaining its usage on the internet.

The backend which is often used is mencoder, part of mplayer, which you can use on the command line.

The mplayer help file will list the available codecs.

handbrake gui is a very good graphical converter for linux. it is available for ubuntu but I can’t find it in opensuse

I have never used handbrake, nor do I know of any rpm for it. But there is an openSUSE wiki page describing how to install it on openSUSE: Handbrake - openSUSE

MTS is the raw file of AVCHD video, which can’t be recognized by most devices. You need MTS Converter to convert .mts files to AVI, FLV, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MP3, WMA, etc, and also it is an excellent TS Converter.

http://www.mtsconverterdownload.com/images/mts-ts-converter.jpg

Key features of MTS Converter:

1. Support most HD video encoder and HD decoder
Support converting HD video to SD (Standard Definition) video or converting SD video to HD video of all HD formats including HD AVI, H.264/AVC, MKV, AVCHD, HD MPEG4 TS, HD MPEG2 TS, HD WMV, HD Quick Time, ASF-HD and the latest popular video formats - MKV, TS, h.264 and more in both 1080P & 720P. Support Interlace/Deinterlace.

2. Convert video Between almost any formats
MTS Converter can convert 3GP, 3G2, MJPEG, AVI, DivX, Xvid, MPG, MPEG(MPEG-1/2), DAT, FLV, MKV(Matroska), QuickTime(MOV,QT), MP4, M4V, VOB, WMV, ASF, TS, MPEG-4 AVC, H.264 to all popular video formats - MP4, MOV, 3GP, 3G2, MPEG, MPG, VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, FLV, H.264,etc.

1. Extract audio tracks from video file
    Convert video files to AAC, AC3, AIFF, AMR, AU, FLAC, MP3, M4V, MP2, OGG, WAV, WMA.

4. Supported various PMPs
Optimized for HD video devices, including Sony PS3, Walkman, Xbox360, Wii, iPod, iPhone 3G, Apple TV, Zune, Google Phone, Archos, Creative Zen, iRiver, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Motorala, LG, Sony Ericsson, Mobile Phone, HD DivX/XviD video player and more.

5. Provide Deinterlacing function
Using this MTS Video Converter, it helps you to convert interlaced video to the progressive video, this function can optimize the video effect.