Thread: Sound only partly working

Default Sound only partly working

Opensuse V11.0

I only get sound on some applications.
    When I insert a CD, it plays fine in Bashee (V1.41)

In Sound test I get a tone on all of the tests.

In Firefox (Youtube) I get no sound.

I get no systems sounds, ie programs opens, key presses etc.

Where do I start to look ?

Kim

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sound only partly working

My recommendation, in order to ensure you can install the correct and necessary applications, that you first setup your Software Package Management repositories. Specifically I recommend you setup your software repositories (where repositories are in essence file servers on the internet with software for openSUSE) with the repositories OSS, non-OSS, Update, and Packman. Just those 4. No others. None! There is guidance here for that for openSUSE-11.1: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community

You can add more than those 4 only after you understand the risks, and understand how to identify and fix problems that can arise if you add more than those 4 repositories. This is beyond the capability of new users, and indeed beyond many average users. So it may be best for you to just stick with the 4 I recommended.

Once those 4 are setup, then go to YaST > Software > Software Management and change the filter to "search". From there you can search for and install applications that are on those 4 repositories (with your PC connected to the Internet).

For Firefox I recommend flash-player and Mplayer and mplayerplug-in be installed. For general multimedia I recommend you replace the Novell/SuSE-GmbH crippled versions with Packman packaged versions. Specifically libxine1, amarok, amarok-xine, amarok-packman, vlc, smplayer, libffmpeg0, w32codec-all, libquicktime0, libxvidcore4. You could also install the Packman gstreamer versions (replacing the Novell/SuSE-GmbH packaged versions). In most multimedia applications you can select the appropriate sound engine (I recommend xine engine).

That should get you started.

I do NOT use banshee, so I can not help you there.

Thanks.
    Been reading some other treads and it seems that v11.1 has fixed some of the sound issues.

Will follow above advise and report back in due course

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mx4eva View Post
    Been reading some other treads and it seems that v11.1 has fixed some of the sound issues.

Will follow above advise and report back in due course
    I'm bad ... I should have read your post better.

You can do the same with openSUSE-11.0. The guidance for the repos setup is here: Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community

I can't recall in 11.0 if one simply replaces the Novell libxine1 with the packman libxine1, or if one replaces the Novell xine-lib with the Packman libxine1. If you have problems with the libxine1 install, post here, and maybe I will be able to figure out any error messages you get.

Got it all going.
    Thanks.

Linux and Multimedia is a bit testing for newbies.

Thanks again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mx4eva View Post
    Linux and Multimedia is a bit testing for newbies.
    Indeed it is.

BUT, once one is familiar with it, I find it very fast and easy to setup, and quicker than winXP (to setup) ..... BUT, one must first gain that familiarity.