Anybody use UNetbootin?

I’ve been using UNetbootin to avoid burning CDs that, once installed, are no longer needed.

Unfortunately UNetbootin does not want to work with openSUSE and the system just won’t boot up. I’ve tried openSUSE 11.1 Gnome LiveCD, Milestone 3 and Netinstall. None of them have worked, throwing various errors before the GUI can show up and this is on both my desktop and laptop.

In each instance I verified the md5sum for the ISO before running UNetbootin to install it on my USB drive. The drive is 8 GB so it is not a case of it running out of room.

As is, I broke down and burned a CD of Milestone 3 which didn’t work, and the Gnome LiveCD 11.1 which finally did work.

So what I’m asking is does anybody use UNetbootin, and if so have you witnessed any problems with placing openSUSE on it?

For comparison, Ubuntu and Fedora have gone on without any issues and it is my primary means of installing those distros which I change almost as often as I do underwear! (ick!) rotfl!

I have read of issues recently in the forum with using openSUSE. I have used it with other distro’s.
Isn’t openSUSE in the default list it offers?

Are you using it as installed from the repo’s or did you download it directly? Mine was direct from the UNetbootin site.

I have used knoppix, puppy and dsl

Hi,

I’ve used UNetbootin for other distros such as Puppy Linux, Mandriva, and Kubuntu. All of which work. I haven’t been able to get openSUSE to work with it at all. I’ve only tried 11.1 up to 11.2 MS2.

From what I read on putting these onto a usb drive you need a modified initrd file. Even with that I haven’t been able to make it work with UNetbootin. I’ve done it before as described here:

How to Make openSUSE 11.1 LiveUSB | Spirit of Change

But never with UNetbootin.

That’s just my experience with it. As I’m still a fairly new linux user there may be other ways or workarounds that I don’t know of.

Take Care,

Ian

I have it installed on my Ubuntu box (it’s one of the few I don’t change so often) and usually I download the ISO, run the md5sum check against the downloaded ISO file and then run UNetbootin and point it to the ISO file. It is in the default list of distros which will download it when you click Create.

One reason for doing this is that I do not have the fastest connection, so a CD image takes about 2-2.5 hours to download and I don’t want to download it just to find UNetbootin crashes during installation and that time is lost.

Plus I usually SSH into my server and run wget to download it into a Download directory so I don’t have to leave the desktop or laptop on for those 2+ hours. With my luck either my son or my wife would shut down the computer mid-download, so I use the server.

@ijbreakey: I’ll try walking through the tutorial you linked when I get a chance.