Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Filename encoding in archives from windows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    54

    Post Filename encoding in archives from windows

    Hello,

    I got a bunch of personal archives (7z, zip, tar), made under Windows (2k, xp) that I would like to extract in openSUSE. Problem is that once extracted, accented characters are obliterated. Jrvi becomes J??rvi.

    I suppose it has to do with character encoding. I looked at convmv command, but it won't work (Your Perl version has fleas #37757 #49830
    wrong/unknown "from" encoding!) and seems to be a very cumbersome way if you have more than 2 files.

    Within an mp3 file, the ID3 tags are impeccable. Only filename gives problems.

    Any easy way to fix this when accessing the archive?

  2. #2
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: Filename encoding in archives from windows

    p barill wrote:

    > I got a bunch of personal archives (7z, zip, tar), made under Windows
    > (2k, xp) that I would like to extract in openSUSE. Problem is that once
    > extracted, accented characters are obliterated. Jrvi becomes J??rvi.
    >
    > I suppose it has to do with character encoding. I looked at convmv
    > command, but it won't work (Your Perl version has fleas #37757 #49830
    > wrong/unknown "from" encoding!) and seems to be a very cumbersome way
    > if you have more than 2 files.
    >
    > Within an mp3 file, the ID3 tags are impeccable. Only filename gives
    > problems.
    >
    > Any -easy- way to fix this when accessing the archive?


    Try mounting the samba resource with utf-8 charset encoding (all in one
    line):

    ***
    su -c 'mount -t cifs //server/resource /mnt -o
    iocharset=utf8,user=samba_share_user,password=samba_share_password'
    ***

    *Be carefull* with the above command as it will mount the specified samba
    share under /mnt, so *before issue the command* just check there is no data
    there.

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Filename encoding in archives from windows

    Thank you, I will look at Samba. For the moment, I have no knowledge of this. Give me a couple of weeks, and I will find out if it works! In the meantime, it seems more tractable for me to reboot windows to unzip an archive and then reboot linux and then copy the files from the windows drive... No, that's not a solution.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •