Thread: Warning - Plasma Workspace

Hybrid View

Default Warning - Plasma Workspace

I am running opensuse 11.0 and KDE 4. Yesterday I upgraded KDE to 4.2 and now whenever I click on a desktop Icon I get the dialog box: "Warning - Plasma Workspace
    This will start the program ..... If you do not trust this program press cancel"
    Now I have to press the button continue to open the program. This is an annoyance - of course I want to open the program that's why I clicked there first. Like Windows Vista which I have to use at work. How can I disable this dialog box and get the program to open straight away?
    Regards
    Uli

Default Re: Warning - Plasma Workspace

Strange, as I never bumped into this myself..
    Use KDE 4.2/3 RC1 myself

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 18:56 +0000, jackred wrote:
    > TaraIkeda;2007869 Wrote:
    > > Strange, as I never bumped into this myself..
    > > Use KDE 4.2/3 RC1 myself

>
    > Why even post this? Does it help somehow? It's like saying there is
    > something wrong with the guy. It's nice you haven't had a problem.
    > Should we all post when we haven't had the problem? Sorry, I don't mean
    > to be rude. It just struck me as strange.

Sometimes it's good to know that something works... obviously, you DON'T
    want EVERYONE to post that though. But just to be obnoxious... I'm
    running 4.2.4 and haven't seen this issue (sorry).

I've seen this when upgrading from kde 4.1.3 to kde 4.2. And also on the KDE live CD's that include the 4.3 betas. With a fresh install of a KDE 4.3 beta DE from the live-cd I do not see the problem though.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

sprockkets NNTP User

I got it myself when upgrading from the last KDE4 to the new 11.2 KDE4. Here's my question though. I had exactly what happened to me as already posted, BUT, now when I click on the icons, I get "Sorry - Plasma Workspace" "Service /home/sprockkets/Desktop/Mozilla.Desktop must be executable to run."

But it is executable! It was. I've deleted my .kde4 folder, checked other users, and it won't go away!

fackamato NNTP User

I just installed OpenSUSE 11.2 on my laptop. Installed all the available updates, and installed the 195.30 NVIDIA drivers to get acceptable KDE4 performance.

There are a few issues I'm having (can't play music in Amarok, network connection is not persistent (dies when I log out, how can I make it "system wide" ?), etc), but I'd like to solve this one first.

I'm experiencing the same issue as the OP, on this clean install. On my desktop I have a "Desktop Folder" thing (widget?) which contains:

Do you notice the red circles with the exclamation marks? Whenever I click on any of them I get:

Service '/home/fackamato/Desktop/MozillaFirefox.desktop' must be executable to run.
    But they *are* executable! Any ideas? I've tried rebooting, creating a new user, all to no avail.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mathias

fackamato NNTP User

Thumbs up Re: Warning - Plasma Workspace [SOLVED]

Can't find an edit button so I'll reply instead:

The issue was that the filesystem was mounted noexec for some reason. So, check with mount that your filesystem isn't mounted noexec. If it is, do "sudo remount -o exec /home" or whatever mountpoint is giving you trouble.

Sorry - I was too impatient. It only happened the first time I opened the programs. From the second time on it worked without that message.
    Cheers
    Uli

Quote Originally Posted by fuerstu View Post
    Sorry - I was too impatient. It only happened the first time I opened the programs. From the second time on it worked without that message.
    Cheers
    Uli
    Still its a strange issue none the less, never encountered it myself.
    Granted I had plasma crash on me a few times but thats about it.