Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: smtp or mta settings.

  1. #1
    MarkD NNTP User

    Default smtp or mta settings.

    A client has an application that requires anonymous smtp authentication to
    send e-mails. I need any client on 192.168.0.0 to be able to use an
    OpenSuse 11.0 smtp server to relay the messages to mail.*****.com using an
    user account and password. I was thinking that Mail Transfer Agent would
    work. When I tested it, an e-mail was sent but never showed up in the
    recipients in-box.

    E-mails will be received through standard applications from mail.*****.com
    on local machines.

    mail.*****.com is hosted off site.

    Thankyou for your help.

    -Mark


  2. #2
    MarkD NNTP User

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    didencool wrote:

    > @Thu, 02 Jul 2009 17:28:14 +0000, MarkD write:
    >
    >> A client has an application that requires anonymous smtp authentication
    >> to send e-mails. I need any client on 192.168.0.0 to be able to use an
    >> OpenSuse 11.0 smtp server to relay the messages to mail.*****.com using
    >> an user account and password. I was thinking that Mail Transfer Agent
    >> would work. When I tested it, an e-mail was sent but never showed up in
    >> the recipients in-box.
    >>
    >> E-mails will be received through standard applications from
    >> mail.*****.com on local machines.
    >>
    >> mail.*****.com is hosted off site.
    >>
    >> Thankyou for your help.
    >>
    >> -Mark

    >
    > I also have bad eperiense in ugrading gnome version in distro
    > I have trying in opensuse 11.0 and 11.1
    >
    > in both cases i repair my system my fresh install after that. this was
    > quick enough
    >



    I don't understand how this applies.

    -MD


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ukraine/mk/pervomaysk
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    @Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:10:58 +0000, MarkD write:

    > I don't understand how this applies.
    >
    > -MD


    sorry it was wrong post, I delete it

    --
    WBR

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    Sorry, your wording is ambigious. Who should require authentication, the openSUSE SMTP server, or the server on mail.*.com?

    Do you have control over mail.*.com to tell it to accept relayed email from your SMTP server?

  5. #5
    MarkD NNTP User

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    ken yap wrote:

    >
    > Sorry, your wording is ambigious. Who should require authentication, the
    > openSUSE SMTP server, or the server on mail.*.com?
    >
    > Do you have control over mail.*.com to tell it to accept relayed email
    > from your SMTP server?
    >
    >


    I have multiple PCs running the application RDP. In report configuration
    you specify a sending e-mail address associated with reservations. RDP
    does not tie in with e-mail clients on the PC. You configure report e-mail
    universally.

    Expample: Reservation for John Doe has a confirmation sent to
    JohnD@anymail.* The program addesses the sender as desk@****.com. I
    sends the e-mail to smtp server specified in configuration. There is no
    allowance for password authentication.

    I want the Suse box to accept the mail and relay it using username &
    password associated with the front desk.

    The mail server is a hosted mail service that I have no configuration access
    for.

    -MD


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    Ok, if mail.*.com accepts SMTP authentication, then the problem boils down to getting Postfix to authenticate to mail.*.com as that user. What does mail.*.com use? SMTP with TLS? SMTP over SSL?

    For postfix you need a tutorial like this one. This is just an example of relaying to gmail via SMTP over TLS, you will have to read many such tutorials to get all the points right.

    Relay mail via Google SMTP with Postfix

    It's highly unlikely that you can do this configuration from YaST, you'll have to get your hands dirty and edit main.cf

  7. #7
    MarkD NNTP User

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    ken yap wrote:

    >
    > Ok, if mail.*.com accepts SMTP authentication, then the problem boils
    > down to getting Postfix to authenticate to mail.*.com as that user. What
    > does mail.*.com use? SMTP with TLS? SMTP over SSL?
    >
    > For postfix you need a tutorial like this one. This is just an example
    > of relaying to gmail via SMTP over TLS, you will have to read many such
    > tutorials to get all the points right.
    >
    > 'Relay mail via Google SMTP with Postfix' (http://tinyurl.com/n9wtqn)
    >
    > It's highly unlikely that you can do this configuration from YaST,
    > you'll have to get your hands dirty and edit main.cf
    >
    >



    Ok, I followed the link and am starting to follow the script.

    the line "openssl req -new -key postfixclient.key -out" returns the
    error "req [options] <infile>outfile"

    -MD


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    Some of those commands and directives in that tutorial are broken across two lines due to the web page formatting. They should be entered as one unbroken line.

  9. #9
    MarkD NNTP User

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    MarkD wrote:

    > ken yap wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Ok, if mail.*.com accepts SMTP authentication, then the problem boils
    >> down to getting Postfix to authenticate to mail.*.com as that user. What
    >> does mail.*.com use? SMTP with TLS? SMTP over SSL?
    >>
    >> For postfix you need a tutorial like this one. This is just an example
    >> of relaying to gmail via SMTP over TLS, you will have to read many such
    >> tutorials to get all the points right.
    >>
    >> 'Relay mail via Google SMTP with Postfix' (http://tinyurl.com/n9wtqn)
    >>
    >> It's highly unlikely that you can do this configuration from YaST,
    >> you'll have to get your hands dirty and edit main.cf
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > Ok, I followed the link and am starting to follow the script.
    >
    > the line "openssl req -new -key postfixclient.key -out" returns the
    > error "req [options] <infile>outfile"
    >
    > -MD


    I figured this one out. Line wrap on the web page caused confusion to the
    command.

    -MD


  10. #10
    MarkD NNTP User

    Default Re: smtp or mta settings.

    MarkD wrote:

    > A client has an application that requires anonymous smtp authentication to
    > send e-mails. I need any client on 192.168.0.0 to be able to use an
    > OpenSuse 11.0 smtp server to relay the messages to mail.*****.com using an
    > user account and password. I was thinking that Mail Transfer Agent would
    > work. When I tested it, an e-mail was sent but never showed up in the
    > recipients in-box.
    >
    > E-mails will be received through standard applications from mail.*****.com
    > on local machines.
    >
    > mail.*****.com is hosted off site.
    >
    > Thankyou for your help.
    >
    > -Mark

    Thanks for the help. I did not succeed in getting this working. It might
    make a neat cool solutions project.

    -MD


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •