Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Office 2007

Default Installing Office 2007

Hello,

I'm hoping to reduce my useage of windows as much as possible, but a lot of my work revolves around the Office 2007 suite. I found a guide on installing it in SUSE using (Wine Office 2007 on Linux with Wine install guide | Wine Reviews). I tried it once about a week ago but didn't get anywhere and now I'm trying again. The only thing that changed since is I switched to KDE4 desktop. Right now, I'm at the step where I install msxml3 from winetricks. I may have done this already, I'm not sure, but I'm getting hung up where I can't access winetricks. I made sure I have it by downloading the package.

Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    But then I can't open it and install packages. I can't even access the directory it supposedly is in.

Code:
    linux-sjke:/usr/bin # ls
    winetricks
    linux-sjke:/usr/bin # cd /usr/bin/winetricks
    bash: cd: /usr/bin/winetricks: Not a directory
    linux-sjke:/usr/bin # chmod +x winetricks
    linux-sjke:/usr/bin # mv winetricks /usr/local/bin
    linux-sjke:/usr/bin # cd /usr/local/bin
    linux-sjke:/usr/local/bin # cd winetricks
    bash: cd: winetricks: Not a directory
    linux-sjke:/usr/local/bin # winetricks
    /usr/local/bin/winetricks: line 178: kdialog: command not found
    linux-sjke:/usr/local/bin # sh winetricks
    winetricks: line 178: kdialog: command not found
    What gives here? I type ls and it says winetricks is a directory, then I try to change into it and it says it isn't a directory. I tried installing it and opening it and it says command not found. Am I missing something?

Default Re: Installing Office 2007

You don't need to do all this just click on the installer and choose onen with wine
    see my signature for more info
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

I tried, but it doesn't work. I set up wine as you said in your tips/tricks. I went to the cd-rom and right clicked setup.exe and clicked open with wine. Then i get an error.

Did you install Office 2007 with wine successfully before? Should I uninstall wine and reinstall a fresh copy to eliminate the changes I made? If so, how would I do this?

Very odd from where I am sitting as Office 2007 works right away, no modification or anything.
    What version of Wine are you running?

version 1.1.9. How could I easily completely remove it to do a fresh install?

it has two possibilities
    1.>rm -f ~/.wine

2.make something like crossover bottle
    >cd /PLACE/where/MSO/installation/dirfiles
    >env WINEPREFIX=/home/USERNAME/.winemsoffice wine setup.exe
    intelGMA3100#amd|radeonHD4200+radeonHD5450@catalyst12.4
    WC5020B,PagePro1480MF,LBP2900,hpCP1510,PHOTO1290,Scanmaker3600,PerfectionV200

Blog Entries

What about using Virtual Box?
    Install XP in there and then Office 07
    In seamless mode, and you hardly know it's there
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I thought of that and that's what I did earlier today. I got an error trying to install Office 2007. Something about a file being corrupted - install from original source or re download image. I didn't really get much time to fool with it, though, because I just got VirtualBox working at the end of the day. I'll try again tomorrow.

VirtualBox seems pretty sweet, though. What do you mean by seamless mode?

From what I remember with getting Microsoft Office 2007 on my linux install (it was the trial version) I had to revert my wine to an older version such as 1.1.7 and then once it's installed you can upgrade wine again and it'll still work. There were some features that didn't work though while trying that way out.

What caf means by seamless mode is installing the guest additions in the virtualbox operating system (be it windows xp, vista, or whatever) so then you don't have to capture the mouse and keyboard everytime you want to use the mouse and keyboard in virtualbox.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Blog Entries

Just for more clarity
    Seamless refers not particularly to the Guest Additions (which you need to install) but to the way XP sits in the Linux desktop as just a small panel on top of the Linux Panel. The desktop you see is the Linux desktop unless you press the XP show desktop or open a XP application.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast