Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ, US
    Posts
    188

    Default KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    This started popping up at logon (on OS 11.1 KDE 4.2.4 (x64-bit)) after installing some updates.

    Code:
    [The audio device HDA Intel (ALC888 Analog) does not work. Falling back to HDA Intel (ALC888 Digital)]
    Sound still works for Amarok, Banshee, VLC, etc. I do not get the music at log on like I used to though. Can't find any error messages in the logs, and I'm not sure where to start looking for a solution. Any help appreciated.
    Go for it! You can always re-install...

    Registered Linux User #452291

    Windows Vista Boot Error: (S)hout, (P)arty, (D)ance, (L)inux? (L/L)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    I got rid of pulse (keep libpulse0) and have had no problems since.
    There are a few threads on pulse if you do a search.

  3. #3

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    Same issue there. I'm using the KDE 4.2.4 and Creative "X-Fi" sound-card (mX Xtreme Audio, without the proper EMU20K1 chip). Music works out-of-box, but still getting that stupid message from Phonon, even with the latest build of ALSA 1.0.20 from additional repository. Btw, don't you know guys if there's an app for tweaking bass, treble, sound effects and so on?! Or is it possible only under Windows? Those X-Fi Crystalizer, EAX4.0 and CMSS 3D effects are great with headphones, too.
    openSUSE 11.3 will be another step into future =)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ, US
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by peteh100 View Post
    I got rid of pulse (keep libpulse0) and have had no problems since.
    There are a few threads on pulse if you do a search.
    Just wanted to clarify something: You are talking about removing Pulse Audio itself from the system? (sounds silly, I know, but want to make sure I understand what you did. )
    Go for it! You can always re-install...

    Registered Linux User #452291

    Windows Vista Boot Error: (S)hout, (P)arty, (D)ance, (L)inux? (L/L)?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by walla299 View Post
    Just wanted to clarify something: You are talking about removing Pulse Audio itself from the system? (sounds silly, I know, but want to make sure I understand what you did. )
    Don't do this if you need a working audio system. This is a bug and it will be fixed soon. At this time, life with it, it is nothing danger
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:JaDa0007
    http://www.facebook.com/uwe.vogt

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    I think if you get rid of all the pulse audio packages and leave the libpulse packages on there you should be fine. I've had to do this with my intel sound card before and I've never had a problem doing it. Results may vary though.

    Take Care,

    Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,763
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    Remove pulseaudio. Found that on the KDE fora as the cause of the phenomenon. Did that myself on all machines and error messages have gone, sound is now as stable a factor as it should be.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ, US
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Remove pulseaudio. Found that on the KDE fora as the cause of the phenomenon. Did that myself on all machines and error messages have gone, sound is now as stable a factor as it should be.
    Removing Pulseaudio solved the problem. It and the error message is gone, and the sound on my system still works.

    Thanks everyone.
    Go for it! You can always re-install...

    Registered Linux User #452291

    Windows Vista Boot Error: (S)hout, (P)arty, (D)ance, (L)inux? (L/L)?

  9. #9

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    same experience here - removing pulseaudio and all dependent packages solved the problem

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: KDE 4.2 & Phonon Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by walla299 View Post
    This started popping up at logon (on OS 11.1 KDE 4.2.4 (x64-bit)) after installing some updates.

    Code:
    [The audio device HDA Intel (ALC888 Analog) does not work. Falling back to HDA Intel (ALC888 Digital)]
    Sound still works for Amarok, Banshee, VLC, etc. I do not get the music at log on like I used to though. Can't find any error messages in the logs, and I'm not sure where to start looking for a solution. Any help appreciated.
    If you're just annoyed with this message, you can get rid of it by going to Configure Desktop -> Multimedia, and moving the working device (HDA Intel (ALC888 Digital)) to the top of the stack for each of the categories - no S/W changes required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •