View Poll Results: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mint

    18 11.46%
  • Ubuntu

    25 15.92%
  • Fedora

    35 22.29%
  • Debian

    24 15.29%
  • Arch

    22 14.01%
  • CentOS

    6 3.82%
  • Mageia

    13 8.28%
  • FreeBSD

    3 1.91%
  • Slackware

    4 2.55%
  • Gentoo

    7 4.46%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    142

    Default If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    If for some reason, Suse stopped existing, and you were forced to select a different distro, what would it be?

    For clarification, i've used the word 'distro' very lightly. I can't include all distros so will try to just include the big influences.

    Feel free to discuss, i'd love to hear reasons why too. I'm a previous Slackware user, and there wasn't much i wasn't happy with there so i'd probably go back to Slack.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    I would use openSUSE (which I am using now). I guess it would have the fewest differences with the Opensuse you seem to use.

    As I never tried one of the others you mention, how could I know? I am not spending time at making a decision that I most probably do not need for the next few years (if not longer). But as it is not easy to design a good poll, the "I do not know" option is missing.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by knightron View Post
    If for some reason, Suse stopped existing, and you were forced to select a different distro, what would it be?

    For clarification, i've used the word 'distro' very lightly. I can't include all distros so will try to just include the big influences.

    Feel free to discuss, i'd love to hear reasons why too. I'm a previous Slackware user, and there wasn't much i wasn't happy with there so i'd probably go back to Slack.
    Probably debian or mint, maybe because they appeal to the geek in me. I don't like fedora, it reminds me of a hospital ward, all clean and soulless. I used to really like Ubuntu (lovely color) but for me ATM it's off the rails.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    As you did set up the poll the user nickname is visible to the vote. This is IMHO very bad because it raises the possibility that this "scoring" may be used for purposes other then this poll. So I would rather change this into an anonymous poll. There is no reason to do this as a public poll, if not trying to screen for users potential interests in other distros. So no vote from me for the poll, sorry. (I know you didn't do this intentionally but then, openSUSE is quite prosperous, so why would we tell what we would do in case an improbable situation takes place.... right?)
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,193
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    I haven't voted, mostly because I am not sure. In the past, I have used slackware and redhat (before fedora was split off). I have briefly experimented with ubuntu and gentoo, but those would not be my choices.

    With the problems that the forum is having (see http://forums.opensuse.org/english/o...ess-error.html ), I have to consider the possibility that the new owners of the opensuse name will allow the distro to die. So I do need a backup plan, just in case. I guess I should consider fedora, debian or mint.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I haven't voted, mostly because I am not sure. In the past, I have used slackware and redhat (before fedora was split off). I have briefly experimented with ubuntu and gentoo, but those would not be my choices.

    With the problems that the forum is having (see http://forums.opensuse.org/english/o...ess-error.html ), I have to consider the possibility that the new owners of the opensuse name will allow the distro to die. So I do need a backup plan, just in case. I guess I should consider fedora, debian or mint.
    What have the access errors of a forum migration have to do with the survival of an infrastructure that serves also as testing ground for suse SLED? That is quite astonishing tough as a statement. Did you have any indication that there is the ownership behind the access problems? Other rumors I should know of??
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    As you did set up the poll the user nickname is visible to the vote. This is IMHO very bad because it raises the possibility that this "scoring" may be used for purposes other then this poll. So I would rather change this into an anonymous poll. There is no reason to do this as a public poll, if not trying to screen for users potential interests in other distros. So no vote from me for the poll, sorry. (I know you didn't do this intentionally but then, openSUSE is quite prosperous, so why would we tell what we would do in case an improbable situation takes place.... right?)
    Yes, it is new to me, as all polls until now were anonymous. But one should realy WARN when one sets up a poll that is not Anonymous!
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,193
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    What have the access errors of a forum migration have to do with the survival of an infrastructure that serves also as testing ground for suse SLED?
    They hint at a possible lack of support from Attachmate.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    They hint at a possible lack of support from Attachmate.
    Hum, I would say they show a lack of importance the management give to the user forum of a distribution that has with SLED the focus on (paying $$$ :-) ) business users. The usual managerial myopia. Wouldn't see this dramatic yet.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    They hint at a possible lack of support from Attachmate.
    That would be baaaaad news I don't want openSUSE to have the same fate as Kubuntu and Mandriva. No, please!

    To the OP: where is Puppy Linux????
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •