Default Re: Top 3 application that you wish existed as Linux versions

On Thu 20 Nov 2014 02:06:02 PM CST, thebigming wrote:

inxi
    inxi
    inxi

OK, I have managed to install it & find most of the dependencies but I'm
    struggling to sort out the variables to install *LM-sensors* (which
    appears to be virtuously OSS). *RPM.Pbone* used to have a note on this
    saying "Shame on you SuSE" for not including it (inxi). It's a (.deb)
    script which which supplies a very full picture of your system - I use
    it all the time.& am lost without it.
    Hi
    I'm the packager/maintainer of inxi in the 'Utilities' repository,
    that's where due to the rapid changes at times it will remain and not
    get pushed to factory for inclusion.

Maintenance at the Distribution level for the dot changes (as in minor
    changes) would require far to much work, then additional features
    (major changes) would not get pushed till the next release (unless your
    running Factory/Tumbleweed).

http://software.opensuse.org/package...arch_term=inxi

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Malcolm, many thanks for your reply -which I didn't expect - but I'm afraid I may have opened a new bag of worms (see: Top 3 Linux application that you wish existed as openSuSE versions). I've used SuSE for years & am always amazed at the work you guys must do - but I must say, inxi has been around as a Debian package for a while (I discovered it using antiX on my netbook) & it is a little cracker.

Thanks for all the work you do - and keep it up. There are 000's (000,000's) of us ungrateful *******s relying on you!

dmk

Quote Originally Posted by razirazo View Post
    Windows Media Player
    Seriously omg omg why all freaking media players in linux try to cramp every rubbish inside; instead of one thing and doing it well?
    WMP is real good example of a no-nonsense, capable and simple media player.

openVPN GUI
    I mean openVPN GUI that doesn't lazily running on top of NetworkManager in linux.

Windows Live Mail client
    Its the best mail client ever existed when you are using Microsoft mail service.

WinRAR
    Because it is winrar
    There is winrar for linux, I have used it.

Windows media player ? install mplayer 2, it plays all files I throw at it.

Sketchup CAD program. I use it on Windows regularly but would prefer to be able to run on Linux independent of the version of Suse that I have running. Ran it through Wine on version 11.2 and 11.3 after various trials and tribulations to get it running. Than those tricks did not work on 12.2 when I updated and now I am upgrading to 13.2

There is a free version of the software, ideally we could port or get Trimble to provide a linux version for opensuse so that not only can we use the free version but the pro versions also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by razirazo View Post
    Windows Live Mail client
    Its the best mail client ever existed when you are using Microsoft mail service.
    Yes, Windows Live Mail and Outlook are pretty good mail clients overall. I like being able to see folders on the left, email in the middle and calendar/tasks on the right. One place to see everything. I haven't had much luck with Kmail and Thunderbird is the closest I have gotten (though Lightning has been flakey previously).

I think the biggest application that I am running which does not have a Linux version is WebMatrix (or Visual Studio, but that's moot until it supports PHP as well as the core languages).

In WebMatrix, what I like is

1. that I can work on the code stored anywhere (e.g. in a ~/Development or ~/code directory)
    2. it has color syntax and code completion
    3. to test/run it the program starts up IIS Express (w/PHP) and opens the site I am working on in my default, or chosen at the time, browser
    4. I haven't used the Publish feature yet, but I use that at work with Visual Studio so if WebMatrix's version works similarly then that is a nice feature
    5. can open and edit an external site and edit it (saves back the file to the web server, and can store a cached version of the site for editing other pages and I would presume to be able to edit the site offline

While there are editors for Linux, I either need to run a script to start apache, have it running all of the time and create a symlink to the currently being worked on site.

I am working around that some, with the use of an actual web server I can access via either Windows or Linux, in which case I usually use Gedit. I have used NetBeans but it, like I suspect Eclipse, are fairly heave. Bluefish looks promising but isn't quite there yet.

Oh well...

Other than MS Office, which I prefer over LibreOffice. It isn't because of what it can do, yet more on how easy it can do it.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

I would be interested in Calligra Office, but last I checked it doesn't have much in the way of MS Office compatibility.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Wished Google would not have dropped development on Picasa for Linux. Picasa is probably one of the best free photo management applications out there as of date. I've tried Gthumb, Digikam and shotwell, yet all of them can't compete with Picasa when it comes to ease of use and options for editing photos quick and easy. This is of course my opinion and sure others have an argument against this. Furthermore, to run Picasa in Wine is out of the question for me, so currently I'm using Gthumb which does a good job organizing my huge collection of photos.

Other application that would be nice to see for Linux is Palo Alto GlobalProtect. Currently unable to logon to VPN at work from openSUSE so have to run GlobalProtect in a windows 7 VM. Tried few open source alternatives, but unable to connect for some reason.

None of the three selection. Maybe Microsoft office though I can have alternative for free.

Post Re: Top 3 application that you wish existed as Linux versions

1. iTunes
    2. Many games especially those from electronic arts and ubisoft
    3. Many engineering and design software - all autodesk softwares (used by mechanical and civil engineers and industrial designers) , rhinoceros 3d (used by industrial designers), form z, etc
    4. Mobile connection managers - for nokia, blackberry and also for android 4 and higher
    5. Dolby Home Theater, Maxxaudio, Beats Audio and other sound enhancements
    Acer V3-571G - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Windows 10 Pro

Actually, nowadays, everything I really need is LO to have 100% compatibility with docx in MSOffice, so when i send a document to someone, I needn't worry. Otherwise, geeko provides everything I need. KDE and GNOME and Xfce have all come such a long way for an ordinary desktop user, it's remarkable.
    Running openSUSE Leap 42.3 + KDE

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast