Thread: Mythtv - Recordings ownership issue

Hybrid View

Question Mythtv - Recordings ownership issue

It seems like a have a problem with permissions, but I seemed to have exhausted my limited knowledge in this area.

The problem is that all recordings by mythtv are being written to disk with root ownership and group (root:root)
    I did have some problems when setting up NFS to share directories acroos the two computers , and it may relate to that.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have set out below the details of my setup and can provide further information if needed.

My Mythtv system comprises 2 computers:
    System 1. Combined Frontend/Backend (FE/BE) with 2 tuners which is intended to be the dedicated MythTV main media centre;

System 2. separate FE/BE on my general office system also with 2 tuners.

All systems use AMD x86_64 Athlon processors, on Gigabyte motherboards. All tuners are Leadtek Winfast
    DVT-1000 T. *I am running SuSE 11.1 with mythtv installed from the binaries from the Packman repository,
    present Myth version is 0.21.20080304-1 *I have not installed any mythtv from source.

I am using storage groups with 3 hard drives in system 1, and 2 drives in System 2 *I am using NFS to share
    all drives, and had a few issues there. Both machines run NFS server to export the directories/drives, and
    both machines run NFS-client to import the other machines directories. I used Yast2 to set these up.

The NFS server has the options * "rw,async,no_root_squash"

The NFS client uses the option *"defaults"

On both systems there is a user mythtv and group users.
    The recording directories are in the same location on both systems
    :
    /home/mythtv/store/disk1/default *(system 1)
    /home/mythtv/store/disk2/default *(system 1)
    /home/mythtv/store/disk3/default *(system 2)
    /home/mythtv/store/disk4/default *(system 2)
    /home/mythtv/store/disk5/default *(system 2)
    there are also two live tv directories, one on each system
    /home/mythtv/store/disk1/live/tv
    /home/mythtv/store/disk3/livetv

I have been slowly resolving a number of issues but am totally lost on this one.

Live tv and tv recordings are being recorded as root : root as per the list here:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root * root *7930001304 2009-06-27 23:11 1005_20090627202900.mpg
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root * root * * * *7777 2009-06-28 10:42 1005_20090627202900.mpg.100x56.png
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root * root * * * 68377 2009-06-27 23:11 1005_20090627202900.mpg.png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root * root *2853286340 2009-06-28 12:11 1022_20090628110000.mpg
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root * root * * * 64796 2009-06-28 12:11 1022_20090628110000.mpg.png

The directory & drive permissions are:

drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv users 4096 2009-06-28 12:11 default
    drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv users 4096 2009-06-28 11:21 livetv

I have googled widely, looked at various forums, tried gossamer-threads, but I cannot find a clearcut answer
    as to why the recordings are owned by root !

I have used chown and chmod to change what was recorded, but that is only an interim measure. I did read a
    comment in one forum that seemed to suggest that the mythtv program files should be owned by user mythtv?

I would appreciate any advice to assist in resolving what is causing the recordings to be owned by root, and in particular whether it is an NFS problem. Any help on a solution to remedy this would be very much appreciated.

John

Default Re: Mythtv - Recordings ownership issue

Just a bit more on this.

This morning I had problems accessing the system. It turns out that last nights recordings were saved in the root directory, instead of the storage groups setup under /home/mythtv/store/disk1/default.. etc.

I was able to move them to the right directory ok, but I have not yet resolved my problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

When a file is created owned by <account>, it's most likely because the process that created it is running as <account>. That's how file ownership works in Linux/Unix.

I don't know enough about MythTV to say if the mythtv process should be running as root or mythtv.

natural_pilot NNTP User

> This morning I had problems accessing the system. It turns out that
    > last nights recordings were saved in the root directory, instead of the
    > storage groups setup under /home/mythtv/store/disk1/default.. etc
    > Any advice would be appreciated..

i know very little about MythTV (except i read in a mag [Linux Format]
    it is difficult to set up)..

but, i think your problem is not with openSUSE or Linux, but in the
    way your MythTV was setup..

therefore my best advice (since you asked for 'any advice') would be
    to find the MythTV documentation, FAQ and/or an online forum (or two)
    which deals with MythTV as its central focus...

in other words, this kinda sounds like something a MythTV-Guru has
    heard before and can answer in his sleep..

and i guess you can dig the answer out of the MythTV docs or FAQ..

--
    .~.
    /V\
    /( )\
    natural^^-^^pilot

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I have tried the mythtv list and have had some advice from them, including a SuSE 11.1 user running mythtv.

It is correct that the default install on SuSE has the mythtv recordings owned by root:root. So that is ok, and some of my problems may have arisen from other changes I made.

I have more recordings scheduled and will check them out, and see what happens. Hopefully all will be ok.

thanks