Is openSUSE for me?

Hi guys, I’m somewhat new to Linux. I’ve been using it on my laptop for about a year now, but the hardest thing I’ve done is downloaded games from the Synaptics Package manager. Anyway, coming from nothing but Ubuntu-based distros, I wonder if openSUSE is for me? I want to try something different, and from screenshots I’ve seen, I really like oS. What I’m wondering about is will it run on older systems? I’ve got a Dell Latitude d600, circa late 90’s to early 2000’s. 1.6 GHz pentium M, with 512MB ram. Also, is oS gnome or KDE? i THINK all I’ve used in the past was gnome stuff. I didn’t know the difference when I started, and quite frankly, I still don’t really know. All I know is in the past I’ve used Ubuntu (single bar across the top of the screen), Linux Mint (menu bar across top, and one at the bottom that showed my open applications), and gOS (single bar at top). I found a website the other day that explained that USUALLY, you can tell the difference of KDE and gnome by menu options (single or dual bar), and what each calls its virtual desktop, or something like that. Either way, it doesn’t matter to me whether oS is gnome or KDE, I was just curious.

Now, I’ve got one final question, and I’ll leave you guys alone…for now! If I install using UnetBootin, how big of a flash drive do I need? I’ve got a 2GB, and an 8GB mp3 player that I can use as a flash drive. I got it on my 2GB the other day with no problems, but I never got past where it says “downloading packages, blah blah blah, restart your computer and go through these options…” I don’t know if after starting the actual install, if anything else will be loaded onto the flash drive…

GNOME and KDE are completely customizable. It is really personal taste to what desktop environment you use. They both are pretty good.

As for differences between OpenSUSE and Ubuntu, I have found OpenSUSE to be a bit more up to date at times, and much easier to be a ‘power user’ on. Ubuntu on the other hand seems to have a few less odd bugs. That is just me though, you can always try for yourself.

Opensuse lets you use either gnome or KDE.

Pendrivelinux.com suggests a 4+GB flash drive for an OpenSUSE install.

You can take online “tests” that help you to choose a linux distribution. My favorite one is here.

Why not see what it recommends?

OK, so that test gave me openSUSE and fedora at 100%, mepis, mandriva, pclinuxos, and debian, ubuntu and kubuntu at 95%… so its all real close, but since oS is at the top, I’ll go ahead and give it a try.

Sweet. Welcome to openSUSE!

Well, I was hoping I could get it running, but no luck yet. I gotta find somewhere to connect to wi-fi again so I can use unetbootin. I’ll let you guys know how it goes once I get it up and running…