Thread: Fetchmail RC Syntax

Hybrid View

Unhappy Fetchmail RC Syntax

Hi guys, hopefully someone will be able to help me out. I am trying to configure fetchmail to retrieve mail for one of our old email servers that will be going off-line soon. I am trying to get it to automatically create all the directories in a users mailbox. Is this possible? If not I would settle for grabbing individual folders one at a time (shudder). If someone could please show me the syntax of a fetchmailrc file that includes folder copying I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fetchmail RC Syntax

Ah, fetchmail is the wrong tool for that. Fetchmail grabs stuff from a maildrop aka INBOX. AFAIK fetchmail doesn't see folders. Even if it did there is another problem and that is fetchmail will just output the stream to a local SMTP server, flattening out all folders.

If the old server is similar to the new one, i.e. Linux and IMAP I assume, just do a tree copy from the old machine to the new one.

Ah, I see, thanks for that. It would be very easy if I could just access the mail directories, but unfortunately we don't own that server. Sorry, but what do you mean by "tree copy".

Blog Entries

The tree of email folders. If you don't have access to the old mail server and the users are using IMAP, they can copy the stuff across themselves. With a GUI client like say Thunderbird you just select the top directory of the old mail, then copy it to the new server. Then sort it all out later.

I suppose it can be done from the CLI also, but I've never had to do this. You would have to have the passwords of all the users for the old server and the new server.

Thanks for your help, I was really hoping I could avoid the manual copying like that, but I guess that it is the only alternative.