Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    95

    Default Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Hi,

    How do you edit the main menu?

    A link to a folder appeared in the places menu that I want to remove as the folder no longer exists. When I right click and choose "move to wastebasket" nothing happens.

    Also, I installed a program, Jedit, and I currently navigate to the folder where it's installed and run the shell script it created during the install to start the program.
    How do I add a link to the applications menu to start the program, preferably without the "Run in Terminal/Display/Run" dialog opening first?

    Thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

  2. #2
    Camalen NNTP User

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    david71 wrote:

    > How do you edit the main menu?


    I think "Alacarte" could help. It's on opensuse /oss repository.

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen

  3. #3

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by Camalen View Post
    david71 wrote:

    > How do you edit the main menu?


    I think "Alacarte" could help. It's on opensuse /oss repository.

    Greetings,

    --
    Camalen
    Yes install alecarte, for some reason its not preinstalled with Opensuse's setup of gnome

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Thanks for the replies.

    I must be missing something. Alacarte is installed but has no affect on the main menu. I think it's because it's not the standard Gnome arrangement of menus, well from what is used in Debian at least, where you could right click and edit the menus with what looked like the alacarte dialog.
    It is the single menu, I assume a custom Novell one, that I don't seem to be able to do anything with. This is the about info for the menu.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

  5. #5

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by david71 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

    I must be missing something. Alacarte is installed but has no affect on the main menu. I think it's because it's not the standard Gnome arrangement of menus, well from what is used in Debian at least, where you could right click and edit the menus with what looked like the alacarte dialog.
    It is the single menu, I assume a custom Novell one, that I don't seem to be able to do anything with. This is the about info for the menu.
    Yeh slab I think interferes with alacarte, I would remove it and replace it with the traditional menus.
    you can do this by right clicking the panel and selecting "add to panel"

    But yeh there is something screwy with alacarte on OpenSuse, it wasnt there when I installed gnome from the gnome live CD

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Hey David,

    To add a shortcut to the applications list, try the following:


    1. Click on the Computer button on the bottom-left
    2. Click on the Control Center button under the System heading on the righ
    3. Click on Main Menu under the Look and Feel heading
    4. Click the New Item button on the right
    5. Enter the information for the new item into the fields
    6. Press the Close button when finished


    That will add the application to the list when you open it up.

    Hope that helps!

    Folding@Home
    Help save lives with Folding@Home

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Thanks Unseen-Ghost,

    That takes care of adding and launching new programs and while setting up Jedit I learnt that the "main menu" dialog, which is also launched if you type "alacarte" at the command line, controls what is seen in the "application browser" and not the "main menu". Very confusing.

    Now if I can just find where the info for the favourites under the Applications, Documents and Places menu is stored, then I can probably remove the unwanted entry in the places menu.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Glad to help!

    That's one less issue to deal with. Now for removing the nonexistant file from your Slab. You can find more information on Gnome Slab by clicking on the proceeding link. If the file doesn't exist, than there is no file to delete, so the easiest way to remove the file from your favorites is by simply right clicking on the file under favorites and selecting Remove from Favorites. Now, if the file there does exist and you want to delete it, the most straight forward way would be to right click on the file and select Open in File Manager. From there, you can find the file and manually delete it by moving it to the trash bin.

    I hope that helps you out!

    Folding@Home
    Help save lives with Folding@Home

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    OK I've worked it out. For the benefit of other newbies like me

    If you open the Nautilus file browser with the Places side pane showing, then if you drag a folder to the blank area, this adds a link in both the side pane and the Places area of the main menu. To remove it, right click on it in the side pane of Nautilus and select remove and the link in the main menu is removed too.

    Now you can move and/or rename the folder and the links are updated, but if you ever delete it only the link in the side pane is removed and you are left with no way to remove the link in the main menu. What you have to do is re-create an empty folder with the exact name/path and a link will automatically appear in the side pane, then you can remove the links as described above. Once the links are removed, you can delete the folder.

    I hope this saves someone from some unwanted frustration in the future.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, UK.
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Edit Main Menu - Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen-Ghost View Post
    Glad to help!

    That's one less issue to deal with. Now for removing the nonexistant file from your Slab. You can find more information on Gnome Slab by clicking on the proceeding link. If the file doesn't exist, than there is no file to delete, so the easiest way to remove the file from your favorites is by simply right clicking on the file under favorites and selecting Remove from Favorites. Now, if the file there does exist and you want to delete it, the most straight forward way would be to right click on the file and select Open in File Manager. From there, you can find the file and manually delete it by moving it to the trash bin.

    I hope that helps you out!
    Thanks for the link, unfortunately there is no remove from favourites for the Places section of the main menu. I work it out though and posted the instructions for what I did before I saw your post.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OpenSUSE 12.1 64-bit, Gnome 3.4.1, Kernel Linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •