Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK; deep south, far below Watford.
    Posts
    275

    Default OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Wishing to listen to BBC Radio 3 live I have followed the link to RealPlayer given on the BBC web-site and have installed RealPlayer 11. But I cannor find it anywhere in the list of applications under any category.

    Where is it and how do I start it?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Quote Originally Posted by XEyedBear View Post
    Wishing to listen to BBC Radio 3 live I have followed the link to RealPlayer given on the BBC web-site and have installed RealPlayer 11. But I cannor find it anywhere in the list of applications under any category.

    Where is it and how do I start it?
    Try to start it from Konsole with this command (I'm not sure about executable, you can type real and hit TAB key 2x in Konsole):
    Code:
    realplay
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK; deep south, far below Watford.
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Wow, that's rather interesting. As I use Gnome, I initiated Realplayer in a terminal window. It started realplayer configuration which completed successfully and presented me with a windowed version of the player. But once I had closed that window, there was no icon for realplayer to be found on my system.

    So, I started Konsole and followed your instructions accurately. The result is:

    "** (process:9614): WARNING **: Unsupported locale en_GB! Please use a locale with .UTF-8 suffix! For example: export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8"

    I love Linux. So meaningful....

    I conclude from this that either RealPlayer or OpenSuse 11.1 are still being developed and don't work properly together yet.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Levin, New Zealand
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Does this help:

    How to install and Configure Real player in OpenSuse | SUSE & openSUSE

    (Note that it does not link to the latest version of realplayer. Though you already have it and just need to configure it?)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK; deep south, far below Watford.
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Thanks for this pointer and apologies for the long delay in acknowledging your help.

    Sadly, as in everything else I try in Linux, it doesn't work in my installation.

    The installation of RealPlayer completed as illustrated in the guide, but then I was faced with the same question that I started with when this thread was initiated: WWhere is it and how do I start it?

    I finally found what appears to be an executable for REalPlayer in the Opt directory but this crashed and burned as soon as I clicked on it.

    Is there a reliable way to install Real Player when using Gnome so that it appears in the catalog of programs (in the Control Centre, I think) and - hopefully - does not immediately crash?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    BBC radio via iPlayer is flash based, well it is for me.

    If you must: Install real with the .rpm download

    from the download location open a terminal and do

    Code:
    rpm -ihv package_name
    you can type the first letter or two of the package name and then the TAB key and it will auto complete, then hit enter

    all done from a su terminal
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    OK, let's get some basic things straight first. As you noticed, RealPlayer installs to /opt. The executable you see is not for clicking on. It's a shell script. you can execute it by doing something like this /opt/real/RealPlayer/./realplay

    Secondly, the error message you got means your locale isn't set right. It even told you how to fix it. Open konsole and run this.
    Code:
    export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
    You could also install the GB locale.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK; deep south, far below Watford.
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    OK, let's get some basic things straight first. As you noticed, RealPlayer installs to /opt. The executable you see is not for clicking on. It's a shell script. you can execute it by doing something like this /opt/real/RealPlayer/./realplay

    Secondly, the error message you got means your locale isn't set right. It even told you how to fix it. Open konsole and run this.
    Code:
    export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
    You could also install the GB locale.
    Basic things - OK, I'll certainly go along with that suggestion (all my attempts at anything else end with cryptic error messages).

    But first some comments:
    1. After I install RealPlayer 10 from the binary I do not have a directory /opt/real - so I cannot run the script you suggest

    2. "You could also install the GB locale": this may be accurate, but in the present tense it should say "I can't install the GB locale" because I have no idea what it means nor how it is done.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK; deep south, far below Watford.
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    BBC radio via iPlayer is flash based, well it is for me.
    Then I guess it will be for me too - but what does this mean that I have to do, in practice? I was just following the BBC instructions (from 6 months ago, admittedly) and could make no progress with installing a working version of RealPlayer (or of removing the resultant mess). I found this quite de-motivating, so took another sabbatical away from struggling with Linux.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: OPenSUSE 11.1: RealPlayer installed but cannot be found

    Quote Originally Posted by XEyedBear View Post
    Basic things - OK, I'll certainly go along with that suggestion (all my attempts at anything else end with cryptic error messages).

    But first some comments:
    1. After I install RealPlayer 10 from the binary I do not have a directory /opt/real - so I cannot run the script you suggest

    2. "You could also install the GB locale": this may be accurate, but in the present tense it should say "I can't install the GB locale" because I have no idea what it means nor how it is done.

    If you don't have /opt/real, then you haven't elevating yourself to root. Root is to Linux/Unix what "Administrator" is to Windows. To become root type su and hit enter. You will be prompted for roots password. Enter that and hit enter. You'll notice the command line changes from $ to #. The # indicates you are now root.

    As to installing software, read this YaST/Modules/Software Management - openSUSE and this Add Package Repositories to YaST - openSUSE
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •