Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a photographer

chrisj1968 NNTP User

Default I'm a photographer

I'm a photographer and am looking for an application to do what I can in Photoshop. perhaps add a repository to my yast software to install it or whatever. I haven't used opensuse in ages and it seems very improved

any help would be great

BTW, my external HDD is in NTFS and dolphin rocks!

Default Re: I'm a photographer

Do you know about GIMP? If not try it. you do not need to add any repo for that, just install from Yast if it is not already installed...

You can run Photoshop in wine if you want follow the link in my signature

/Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

Photo and design studio here. After playing with gimp a few weeks I have no idea what gimp does. Photoshop user since PS3 on mac, linux for e-mail. Stay with Photoshop, yes pricy, but in the biz PS makes the images magic.

Why don't you use GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's a great tools to edit your image. Or you ca install photoshop via wine. Install wine from yast, and then install your photoshop.
    OpenSUSE 11.1 with GNOME 2.4 desktop
    Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
    RAM 512 MB
    nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro 32 MB

Gimp is quite limited for photographers, e.g. no 16-Bit per channel capability.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve09224 View Post
    Gimp is quite limited for photographers, e.g. no 16-Bit per channel capability.
    The original post was back in June 2009. Why resurrect this dead thread now? A pet peeve perhaps?

I use gimp. I'm not a photographer, and I do not need 16-bit per channel capability.

I do recall there are plans to add 16-bit to Gimp (with my having read something back in Feb 2009), but I do not know the current status ...

I note this from a graphic site:
    GIMP Deep Color: patch for 16-bit support of PNG | The Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects

I note this from the gimp faq:
    GIMP - Documentation - 16bit:
    When can we see 16-bit per channel support (or better)?
    For some industries, especially photography, 24-bit colour depths (8 bits per channel) are a real barrier to entry. Once again, it's GEGL to the rescue. Work on integrating GEGL into GIMP will begin after 2.4 is released. Once that work is completed, GIMP will support 16 bits per channel. If you need such support now and can't wait, CinePaint and Krita support 16 bits per channel now.

It should be noted that for publishing to the web, the current GIMP release is good enough.
    ... but I'm still puzzling over this resurrection of an old dead thread.

I'm a photographer and need 16-Bit.

Current status: Gimp-2.6 doesn't support 16Bit, the dev version 2.7 doesn't support it, therefore version 2.8 won't have it.

What we will get in 2.8. can be found here:
    Tutorial: Preview: GIMP 2.8 - the new features - gimpusers.com

@oldcpu (Global Moderator):
    The topic is not dead at all and as long as the thread is open it is certainly allowed to reply, isn't it ? If you don't want this, lock the thread, please.

Blog Entries

Some versions of photoshop will work under wine
    WineHQ - Photoshop 6.0
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve09224 View Post
    @oldcpu (Global Moderator):
    The topic is not dead at all and as long as the thread is open it is certainly allowed to reply, isn't it ? If you don't want this, lock the thread, please.
    @steve09224 This is not about locking a thread.

But note the thread was originally to help user chrisj1968.

IMHO you would have been better served with a title that states exactly what you wished to discuss, ... perhaps "Status of Gimp 16-bit support ?? " as opposed to "I am a photographer". The latter will NOT IMHO grab the attention of the experts who only skim thru thread titles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast