Thread: Change administation password

Default Change administation password

Okay heres a question, when I first installed OpenSuse I set it up so that my password would be the administration password, recently I changed my personal password but my administration password has not changed.
    So how can I change the admin password?
    I know how to do it on Mandriva and on Mepis but not on OpenSuse.
    I like to still make it different from my main password though

Default Re: Change administation password

1.) Open a terminal. Type

Code:
    su
    2.) Enter root password.

3.) Then type

Code:
    passwd root
    4.) enter new root password
    5.) re-enter new root password

6.)?

7.) Profit!

Good Luck,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Deadhound NNTP User

Really helpfull thanks, but if Opensuse is going to be more used by people who don't know how to use a terminal. How could you do it graphical?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhound View Post
    Really helpfull thanks, but if Opensuse is going to be more used by people who don't know how to use a terminal. How could you do it graphical?
    Using a terminal is not difficult in many cases. Also a terminal use is fundamental to Linux use. Is that so difficult to learn?

... anyway, if I assume for a second that I am a person who does not know the command, I open google, and I type: "how to change root password"
    and the first hit I get is:
    changing root password
    of course there are thousands of other's. Thats just the first and the top of the list. And that gives the same guidance as given above.

The point? Well, the point is that is a lot faster than wasting dozens of minutes hunting thru dozens of different menu's trying to find the right menu to change the password. And Linux has not abandoned the fast way of doing things

I recall approximately 25 years ago when GUIs started coming out, and there was the GUI vs terminal debate. As time shows, the GUI mostly won out, BUT even the biggest GUI fanatics back then had to concede there were things that could be done faster and easier from a terminal.