Flash player only works sporadicly.

I am running Suse (64bit) and using Firefox as my browser.

Every few days or so, Flash player (for news videos / YouTube) stops working.

Sometimes restarting the browser gets it working again, sometimes reloading the tab and sometimes, like today the darn thing just won’t work at all.

If I load a youtube page, and in a terminal use :

ps aux | grep np 

over and over again, I do see the plugin starting to run:

USERNAME      10404  0.0  0.1  37420  3984 ?        S    13:49   0:00 /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/                                                        linux/npviewer.bin --plugin /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so --connection /org/wrappe                                                        r/NSPlugins/libflashplayer.so/27088-63

But then that stops showing up. perhaps it crashes? Is there a way to see that logged?

I don’t however see the 64 nswrapper thing load and the screen where the player should be is just a gray box
http://i39.tinypic.com/mi1m3m.jpg

Can someone please help me?

Remove the flash-player through software installer and download the 64-bit Flashplayer. Extract the .so file in /usr/lib64/browser-plugins. That’s it. Works great on all my 64-bit systems

Good luck

+1 to Knurpht’s suggestion. The 64-bit alpha version of flash on a 64-bit system works just as well as the 32-bit version works on a 32-bit system. And there are no messy wrappers and additional layers to muck things up.

It is also worth keeping in mind, though, that Flash on Linux has always been kinda iffy. From time to time I experience the same things as you, and I’m using the 64-bit plug-in. It doesn’t happen very often, but it still happens.

Yup, it works great for me. There are no holdbacks to using the 64 bit OS now since both Java and Flash work great.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot.

What gets me is the randomness of the whole thing. Today in order to get it working again, I had to restart my KDE session and it ‘magically’ started working again.

In addition to the fix, I’d like to learn the ‘why’ of the whole thing.

The reason is because the actual flash package is 32 bit and it’s used with a 64 bit firefox (or any other web browser) through some kind of emulation which is not perfect. To be on the safe side you could always use 32 bit browser pulling some 32 bit dependencies.

Do you get the tarball or the RPM?

Doh… the tarball, I wasn’t think too well hehehe. Need more sleep.

Ouch broken, taking this to my thread in Multimedia.

Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

I only see one version and it does not specify 64 bit. Am I looking at the right thing?

Is it really so hard to google this out??
Most news websites were shouting about that, anyway, here’s the link:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.22.87.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

Wow, didn’t know such a simple question would throw you into such a tizzy.

And your fix, didn’t.

Does someone who knows what they’re talking about know how to fix this?

Flash removed as ordered:
http://i42.tinypic.com/346ugyp.jpg

.so file dropped in “/usr/lib64/browser-plugins”
http://i44.tinypic.com/3323qmh.jpg

Same problem exists. Every few videos, I start getting a gray box rather than a player loading up.

One more thing. After following those steps, flash (.swf) games that used to work, no longer would load.

I had to go back into YAST and reinstall flash to get it working again.

Video playback is still sporadic… so still not fixed completely.

> Does someone who knows what they’re talking about know how to fix this?

i can’t fix it, which is why i still use 32 bit.

when ‘they say’ all the bits and pieces of a 64 bit openSUSE working
without the kinds of headaches you describe, THEN i’ll try it again…

.~.
/V
natural_pilot /( )
^^-^^

My fix didn’t.
Jesus christ, i don’t know what is so hard in following an advice??
How come most people using that 64 bit flash player have sound and everything??

How come i never encountered any problem??