Install new network printer

Hi,

Using Kate and the wizard I could search for the network printers and they were all found. After a few step I end up with screen showing a test button, press it and a window comes up asking for user and password. I have tested all types and combinations I know of but nothing is accepted. What user and password is requested here ?

Tried root’s password ? tried your own username & password ?

Andy

Yes, tried all of these

You first have to configure printing in Yast - Hardware - Printer. Once in there you select Print via Network, Accept printerinfo from following servers: Accept from everywhere, OK.
OK

Now the networkprinters should be available, as long as they are not one way or another set up not to do so. :wink:

I can ad that I can use Konqueror or Firefox , adressing the printer with it’s TCP/IP adress, find it and receive and read all printer data I can also enter with a password the network data on the printer. The password I also tried with kate but no success.

OK, have to leave for today. I will try it tomorrow and see how it goes, thanks.

LeifA wrote:

> Using Kate and the wizard I could search for the network printers and
> they were all found. After a few step I end up with screen showing a
> test button, press it and a window comes up asking for user and
> password. I have tested all types and combinations I know of but nothing
> is accepted. What user and password is requested here ?

I find Cups the best (and less problematic) way to setup printers.

Cups asks for root’s password for managing printers…

Greetings,

Camaleón

I agree with Camaleón. If you have a samba printer you could read this tutorial for openSUSE: Printer Sharing: Windows Print Server for Suse/openSUSE Linux Clients [Samba and LPD]
or if it’s an IPP link try this: Linux Printer Sharing: Suse/openSUSE 10.x 11.x IPP Print Server for Linux & Windows Clients

Yast - Hardware - Printer worked out lovely.
I used connection wizard.
There is a locate button where you fill in the IP address it didn’t find anything though. However typing in the IP address manually work just fine. Thanks for the inputs.

Cheers, great you got it sorted.