Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Getting Tired Of This

Default Re: I'm Getting Tired Of This

I should mention that openSUSE is on one HDD and Mint is on the other one. I'm at work right now, so I can't try it.

I'll try when I get home and let you know if nautilus will let me navigate the SUSE HDD.

When I try to repair with the DVD, I get messages about using a different version of openSUSE than the disk. Could it be that the upgrades SUSE has done over the months have rendered the DVD obselete?
    Last edited by Masterbuilder; 11-Jun-2009 at 12:20. Reason: To add content

If all else fails and you need to back up your data use a live cd of Puppy linux. it will mount just about any drive no matter what the file system.

The Puppy can be found here!
    Home Page | Puppy Linux

The problem is probably with your grub control file, which is /boot/grub/menu.lst (that is an "l" not the numeral "1"). You are getting the grub menu from menu.lst, and the entry for Mint is working. Therefore its likely that the stanza for openSUSE is broken. Try this:

Boot the the grub menu. Hit the Escape key to drop the graphical menu into text mode. At this point, you can do one of two things: First, you can highlight the openSUSE line and hit the 'e' key; you are now in grub's mini editor. Here you can edit each line (the commands are explained on the screen); however, this requires you understand what it should basically be.

Alternatively, once in text mode you can hit the 'c' key to be dropped into the grub command-line shell. Here type the following:

Code:
    find /boot/vmlinuz
    Grub should return to you the partition where the kernel is located, in grub notation. So it will look something like "(hd0,0)" or "(hd1,2)" but without the quotes. Once you have this, then do:

Code:
    root (hdx,y)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd /boot/initrd
    boot
    where "(hdx,y)" is what grub returned previously, for example, (hd0,0). That should boot openSUSE. Once in, go to YaST Boot Loader and look at the control file setup. If you aren't sure what it should be, ask the Boot Loader module to suggest a new configuration (under the Other key, bottom right); check that for accuracy and if OK, click on Finish for the update to be made.

If the above doesn't work for you, can you boot into Mint, and mount the openSUSE root partition (or the /boot partition, if it is on its own separate partition)? Mint may automatically do this for you in Nautilus. Then in openSUSE use a text editor to open /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map and post the contents back here; along with that post the output of (as root): fdisk -l

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12