Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE4.3 Beta 2 - Just Updated - How is yours?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default KDE4.3 Beta 2 - Just Updated - How is yours?

I just updated kde4 Factory from Beta 1 to Beta 2 - Now in the repo's.

Pretty much everything is fine as far as I can tell. Dolphin still not working with fish://
    Anyone else still having issues with fish://
    I'm having to use K from kde3 ATM

Tried just about everything on my laptop and it's good.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE4.3 Beta 2 - Just Updated - How is yours?

More Updates and a roll back of a couple of core kde4 packages, changes release ver from 139 to 138
    Still good for me. Except fish://
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Everything's working fine here as well. Even K3b is back to being able to rip dvd's and transcode correctly.

Of course I'm using both a factory system and the kde 4.3 beta repos so I'm not sure if this input really indicates anything.

The only problem I have is that when I choose to shutdown or restart it goes to the login screen then I have to choose shutdown or restart from there and then it works. Not sure if this is kde or 11.2 related.

Edit: It only happens on my laptop, the desktop is fine. Also not looking for help, just giving my input.
    Last edited by ijbreakey; 10-Jun-2009 at 21:34. Reason: added additional information
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by ijbreakey View Post
    Everything's working fine here as well. Even K3b is back to being able to rip dvd's and transcode correctly.

Of course I'm using both a factory system and the kde 4.3 beta repos so I'm not sure if this input really indicates anything.

The only problem I have is that when I choose to shutdown or restart it goes to the login screen then I have to choose shutdown or restart from there and then it works. Not sure if this is kde or 11.2 related.

Edit: It only happens on my laptop, the desktop is fine. Also not looking for help, just giving my input.
    I found out it was a kde problem. I logged in as root because my /tmp folder was so full it wouldn't allow me to login as the regular user (now have /tmp to be cleared on boot). And I found that when I restarted as root it would let me restart without reverting back to the login screen first. I then deleted my .kde and .kde4 folder (could have just renamed it, I know) and my regular user worked fine! I'm trying to recustomize everything to see if I can find the culprit, although I think it was the desktop effects that set it off.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Where do I set /tmp to clear on boot? Is there ANY reason to save anything in that folder?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Open Yast then Under the System category choose /etc/sysconfig Editor

Use the search function down on the bottom right and search for tmp.

It should be the first one "CLEAR_TMPS_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP"

highlight it and then choose Go To.

Set it to "yes" (without quotes) and then click Ok.

Take Care,

Ian

Thanks. I did it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Could any of You set the background to globe and just switch between the globes and look at how much memory plasma-desktop takes??
    I managed to hit 1GB memory usage (but i could more )

P.S. Already reported
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Yup, I was correct. With my current setup (Intel 945GM) when I enable Desktop Effects, it inhibits my ability to shutdown or restart without having the login screen come up first and then having to shutdown and restart from the login screen. I'm guessing this is just an 11.2 MS2 issue since I haven't seen anyone else using KDE 4.3 Beta 2 complaining with the older systems. I'm going to report it in the 11.2 MS2 thread as well. Not sure what else to check to get to the exact root problem of it because I had limited desktop effects enabled.

Take Care,

Ian

I can shutdown/restart normally using Nvidia proprietary drivers and KDE 4.3 Beta 2.

Have You tried shutting down/restarting with a new user?
    How does a linux geek make love??

- rtfm; unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; zip; sleep;

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast